Am i just suffering from dawn phenomenon

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Hi Everyone for along time now i wake up at about 3am for no particular reason, so this morning i thought i would test my bg it was 7.7 an hour later it was 8.7 when i got up at 0800 it was 6.5 i had a tea and a coffee and it was 5.5 i went shopping and after had a Kentucky fried, chicken large individual bucket with fries and a diet coke 1 hour later bg 5.2, 2 hours later 5.5. i watched the football on tv ( spurs fan so gutted) and had 2 x 75g bags of pork scratching s a large kabano and 2 squares of dark chocolate tested bg after 2 hours 5.1 i know that there are not a lot of carbs but the amount is enough to make bg go high and i have not seen a spike in bg after eating for a long time if anything it drops lower than at pre meal levels, sometimes high 3s to mid 4s. my last hba1c was 5.3 so i dont think the high levels in the early hours seem to effect me too much, but i am just curious to hear what others think is this just DP, and the rest of the time i have good control, i take no medication and do very little exercise at the moment because i havent had the time.
Things might change soon because i have taken a new job as a night shift manager, so i will need to make sure i dont change my eating habits just the times i have the meals, i will test alot and see what happens dont really see a problem as long as i dont snack on **** food only time will tell

Regards
Mark

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Excuse me for asking - as you not on meds - are you type 2? Others will probably get back to you, but to my way of thinking - your sugars for someone with diabetes are not particularly high. Secondly, this is purely personal view, KFC is not healthy food. Fries are high carbs as are pork scratchings. To me this is high cholesterol and non diabetes diet and, believe me my diet is often far from perfect.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi Everyone for along time now i wake up at about 3am for no particular reason, so this morning i thought i would test my bg it was 7.7 an hour later it was 8.7 when i got up at 0800 it was 6.5 i had a tea and a coffee and it was 5.5 i went shopping and after had a Kentucky fried, chicken large individual bucket with fries and a diet coke 1 hour later bg 5.2, 2 hours later 5.5. i watched the football on tv ( spurs fan so gutted) and had 2 x 75g bags of pork scratching s a large kabano and 2 squares of dark chocolate tested bg after 2 hours 5.1 i know that there are not a lot of carbs but the amount is enough to make bg go high and i have not seen a spike in bg after eating for a long time if anything it drops lower than at pre meal levels, sometimes high 3s to mid 4s. my last hba1c was 5.3 so i dont think the high levels in the early hours seem to effect me too much, but i am just curious to hear what others think is this just DP, and the rest of the time i have good control, i take no medication and do very little exercise at the moment because i havent had the time.
Things might change soon because i have taken a new job as a night shift manager, so i will need to make sure i dont change my eating habits just the times i have the meals, i will test alot and see what happens dont really see a problem as long as i dont snack on **** food only time will tell

Regards
Mark
I'm prediabetic and those values are very similar to mine and I also see a similar effect whereby my BG is higher on waking than it is often after breakfast. Mine tesnds to rise all night and is maximum on waking, then if I eat breakfast it goes lower pretty quickly, but if I skip breakfast it tends to stay higher until later in the day. I thought it was DP but more recently I'm thinking delayed response from evening before higher protein and fat intake. If I make more sensible food choices, the effect is less pronounced. So that means choosing foods with lower carbs but not necessarily low fat (need to get my energy from somewhere!).

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am thinking each individual needs vary, according to type, stage etc. Mine as a thin T2 vary a lot from the others shown here, cholesterol a little high! heaven knows why, I am told it can go with db.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I am thinking each individual needs vary, according to type, stage etc. Mine as a thin T2 vary a lot from the others shown here, cholesterol a little high! heaven knows why, I am told it can go with db.
You hit the nail on the head there @HpprKM, what works for one, may not work for another and it's a matter of trying out some of this for yourself and seeing what happens. I test regularly and have a good idea what foods to eat and when now, but I wouldn't have known that if I didn't test. By modifying what and when I eat, it's helped me understand how to keep my energy levels high enough during the day, but lower when I need to be relaxing, like near bed time.

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Excuse me for asking - as you not on meds - are you type 2? Others will probably get back to you, but to my way of thinking - your sugars for someone with diabetes are not particularly high. Secondly, this is purely personal view, KFC is not healthy food. Fries are high carbs as are pork scratchings. To me this is high cholesterol and non diabetes diet and, believe me my diet is often far from perfect.

Hi Hpprkm. this is not my usual diet i am usually very clean,( pork scratching a very low in carbs actually) i just wanted to see what reaction i had to a kfc and fries, My carb intake has been extremely low for the past 9 months and my bg has been quite stable, so it was a bit of an experiment.
My cholesterol is 5 down from 6.8 on dx, bp normal kidney and liver function normal as is potassium levels , i have not had 2 fbg readings over 7 from the doctors, so they say they cant make a definite dx i might do my own ogtt to see how i do.
i have just started a new job and now cycle to work instead of driving for 2 hours so hopefully my bg will improve even more, i do not eat bread rice pasta or potatoes (that was the first time i have had them in 9 months) i seem to be able to tolerate them but would never go back to the way i ate, i also drink beer spirits and wine if i feel like it but its not a regular occurrence this also has no effect on my bg. I think you should control your diabetes and not let it control you, i also believe eating **** once in a while will not do too much harm as long as you jump back on the wagon straight away. But like the previous post says one size does not fit all

Regards

Mark

Reactions: 2 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hey Mark, sorry not judging you, each person has different needs. I have been very lapse myself of late, sweet things are my problem. I was having a rethink on my own eating habits I guess I got a bit carried away by translating my own needs to yours and I thought I was advising you but realise I was mistake. Apologies :)

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could be right in it being DP, I wish my DP would give me reading of 7 - 8 in the morning. I can go to bed 6-7 and wake up at 12-14. But not every day and no pattern to it.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can I ask what you class as a non diabetes Diet if you refer to type two controlled by diet fair enough but, for many type 1's its a different case e.g if you card counts have done dafne etc I do not see the problem with a KFC. I would agree it is not a healthy diet but that would go for anyone diabetes or not.