Am I moving in the right direction?

O

oh_dear_me

Hello, I posted for the first time a few weeks ago and am slowly getting over the shocked of this type 2 diagnosis! Thank you again for everyone's support last time, it really helped.
Anyway I have been following the 16.8 and blood sugar diet for several weeks and am almost (3lbs to go) into the healthy bmi range. I also have a blood glucose monitor (SD CodeFree) and started to use it yesterday.
Now to my confused question!
When I was first diagnosed I was told my results were 13.1 (first fasting blood test) 12.9 (second fasting blood test a week later ) and 109 (hb1ac?). Now I know these results are very high ....I could tell by the GP's voice on the phone....but how do these compare to the results from my blood glucose monitor? I've only done a couple of tests but first thing this morning before I've eaten the result was 8.1. Now from reading everything I can get my hands on I know that is still high but how does this result compare to the 13.1 I had several weeks ago? Dose it mean (wishful thinking?) that I'm moving in the right direction? Or can you not compare the GP's blood tests with a home monitor?

Sorry if this is a daft question by the way!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a daft question but you have answered it yourself.
Yes the 8.1 is a far better reading than the 13.1 you had a few weeks ago and is a measure of your blood glucose at the specific point in time when you prick your finger. Well done for getting it down!
It is still a little high but carry on with what you're doing as it is obviously working for you.
The monitor yoru GP uses is probably very similar. Did they say when your next HbA1c will be? You should see significant improvement.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That 8.1 is you current fasting down from 13 so that is great. You need a lot of readings to estimate an HbA1c and even then it isnt accurate but gives an idea. So yes you are doing well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, definitely in the right direction. Keep going, but try not to concentrate too much on your fasting levels. Your levels before and after meals are the most important at this stage to make sure you are on the right track with your food. Keep an eye on any rise from before eating to the 2 hours after level (2hrs after first bite) and try to keep it under 2mmol/l.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Because HbA1c and fingerprick testing use different units, it is easiest to use a chart to compare them

hba1c-chart.jpg

In the UK, HbA1c is measured in mmol/mol (the blue numbers) and finger prick tests are measured in mmol/l (the white numbers at the bottom of the curve.

So, basically, your original HbA1c of 109mmol/l equates to an average finger prick reading of approximately (there are a few factors that make it approximate) 16.5mmol/l

And your current readings suggest that you have reduced that brilliantly! :D

Reactions: oh_dear_me
O

oh_dear_me

Oh yippee! Thank you! I wasn't sure if the 13.1 test result from the doctor was a completely different test to the one I could do on a home monitor machine .....see I am still very much learning!
Right I will keep a close eye on results before and after eating but I can't tell you the relief in knowing I am moving in the right direction.
So the hb1ac is the 109 result? Which is the test you have again in 3 months? That is due the end of July so fingers crossed.
Thank you so much everyone :)

Reactions: Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the hb1ac is the 109 result? Which is the test you have again in 3 months? That is due the end if July so fingers crossed.
Yep that's correct.. you should hopefully see a much better result next time.. we're all rooting for you so keep it up!

Reactions: oh_dear_me

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the hb1ac is the 109 result? Which is the test you have again in 3 months? That is due the end of July so fingers crossed.

Yes, the 109 result is the HbA1c and that is the test you will have again in 3 months, and regularly thereafter (probably for the rest of your life). Perhaps it would help you if you ring the surgery and ask for a print out of your test results. These will include all the tests you had - which will be blood glucose, cholesterol and lipids, liver and kidney functions and others. You really do need to know all these and have them written down for comparisons against future tests. If you don't understand what they mean, we can help you. I do urge you to get these.

O

oh_dear_me

Ah ok thank you for that advice :) I'll give the surgery a call and ask if they can give me a copy of all my test results. I hadn't thought of that but yes it would be very useful to look back at what I originally was.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could also ask for online access to all your tests results.. Then you can start logging them on your diabetes spreadsheet..