Am I prediabetic?

amd4all

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I am 36 and have diabetics running in the family. Knowing that, I have started since my 30s to follow a strict healthy diet, regular exercises and keep myself fit. I always have test strips at home to monitor every two weeks. My fasting sugar has always been around 5.3-5.5 mmol/l. But for past two weeks, I was so caught up in my work and could reach home only after 11pm every day and of course feeling stressful. I can't do much exercise either. When I test my BS today I found it's a 6. I am having pre-d already? I will go for HbA1C test later.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi, welcome. 5.3-5.5 is nearer the top end of the non-diabetic fasting range. The 6 could just be down to stress or a meter outlier.

See what the HbA1c says.

What does your 'strict healthy diet' consist of?

Reactions: 3 people

amd4all

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sanguine,

Thanks for the reply. I will keep updated with my HbA1c results as i plan for testing it only this Saturday. My healthy diet mostly consists of oatmeal with blueberries and cashews, a glass of milk and a banana for breakfast, some stir fried veggies with brown rice and an apple for lunch and two slices of whole grain bread with lots of steamed veggies and salmon/chicken breast for dinner. For snacks, I do eat yogurt, dark chocolate, some nuts and beans.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could test after a meal. If you get normal readings I wouldn't worry if I were you as your diet seems to be extremely high in carbs.

amd4all

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Totto. Is 55% to 60% of carbs in my diet considered extremely high? It's within Institute of Medicine's recommendation.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Totto. Is 55% to 60% of carbs in my diet considered extremely high? It's within Institute of Medicine's recommendation.

It depends on your circumstances. I find your diet high in carbs. As a T2 I can't go into the same room as bread and anyway dietary advice that includes bread was not aimed at diabetics. Wholegrain and wholemeal was considered to keep you regular.

However since you don't appear to be diabetic and can eat carbs and still get low numbers my attitude would be to enjoy it until such a time comes when you have to give it up.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMO, yes and particularly so if you worry about blood sugar level. Being diabetic I try to keep my carbs at 5E%.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I am 36 and have diabetics running in the family. Knowing that, I have started since my 30s to follow a strict healthy diet, regular exercises and keep myself fit. I always have test strips at home to monitor every two weeks. My fasting sugar has always been around 5.3-5.5 mmol/l. But for past two weeks, I was so caught up in my work and could reach home only after 11pm every day and of course feeling stressful. I can't do much exercise either. When I test my BS today I found it's a 6. I am having pre-d already? I will go for HbA1C test later.

6 is within the limit of error of your meter.
It could also be contamination on your finger.
Stress pushes up BS, so does lack of exercise, if you normally do some.

I'd only worry if the trend keeps going up, rather than the one reading.

A

AnnieC

and bread
Yes I think your diet is very healthy but is quite high in carbs but your BG levels are usually good. You are not diabetic and I take it you are not overweight as you exercise regularly so you probably can tolerate the higher carbs your slightly raised BG may be down to your work load and some stress recently .If your levels continue to be higher than you want them to be then you could always try reducing some of the starchy carbs like the oatmeal rice and bread

Last edited:

amd4all

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Thanks for all you useful comments. I get back the results today. My HbA1C is 6% and fasting sugar is 5.6 mmol/L. It was done in a lab with my blood drawn from veins. How do you think?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Your A1C is just barely pre-diabetic as is your fasting blood sugar. So really that means your blood sugar is above what a non-diabetic person's would be. You may want to check your blood sugar after a meal heavy on carbs and see what you get. 1 hour after should be under 7.8 mmol/L for someone with no insulin resistance or impaired insulin response, based on my research. If they are, you should probably reduce the amount of carbs in your meals until you meet that goal. At least that's what I do. I figure I should keep my blood sugar at a non-diabetic person's levels as much as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1 hour after should be under 4.8 mmol/L for someone with no insulin resistance or impaired insulin response, based on my research.
Sorry, did you intend typing under 4.8 mmol/l at an hour, or was it a typo? I thought the generally considered safe level was 7.8mmol/l?:)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oops. Made a mistake converting from mg/dL. It's now corrected. Thanks!