Prediabetes Am I really prediabetic?

Liza20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been big but in 2006 I went up to 130kg by 2009 my body was very stressed
My doctor and dietitian said that I had the signs of prediabetes even if my blood sugar was normal
I lost 30kg then gained 10 back by last year.
Been LCHF since jan and down 14kg
My blood sugar is 4.8 so my doctor says I'm not prediabetic
but I got some ketone sticks and if I eat sugar then I go out of ketosis
Also if I eat sweets etc then I get very tired and dizzy or headache
the next morning my joints are sore and the soles of my feet are swollen and sore
am I prediabetic or maybe pushed my body too far and now have a sensitivity to sugar?
Is there a difference?
Thank you :D

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Liza20 was the 4.8 a HBA1C test? I think anyone diabetic or not will get out of ketosis if they eat sugar.Is there any reason why you don't want to stick with LCHF

I think if you are in ketosis you need to gently come out as your body will not be able to cope with huge changes so quickly and you will feel rough. A bit like keto flu in reverse

If your doctor says you are not prediabetic anymore then you have greatly reduced the risk of type 2 at this time but keep an eye on any weight gain and make sure you have lab blood tests at least annually.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 is a perfectly normal blood sugar level. Have you tested after a fall off the low carb wagon?

Many non-diabetics on LCHF have similar experiences to yours, feeling very ill after eating carbs, both sugar and starch.

Well done on your weight loss!

Reactions: Liza20

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agree with Totto ... You have the chance to stay where you are, so dump carbs and above all, sugars. Gotta be determined to do it, but you show the capacity to achieve it

Liza20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Liza20 was the 4.8 a HBA1C test? I think anyone diabetic or not will get out of ketosis if they eat sugar.Is there any reason why you don't want to stick with LCHF

I think if you are in ketosis you need to gently come out as your body will not be able to cope with huge changes so quickly and you will feel rough. A bit like keto flu in reverse

If your doctor says you are not prediabetic anymore then you have greatly reduced the risk of type 2 at this time but keep an eye on any weight gain and make sure you have lab blood tests at least annually.

4.8 was fasting glucose test
My doctor won't do HBA1C
He says it's unnecessary

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's not very helpful, what test did you have that suggested prediabetes? Do you test your levels at home?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have to maintain my stance on that subject and if there's one thing that drive me nuts, it's that

You MUST insist on a Hba1C. Change doctors or lay down the law. It is vital so you know where you are ... there won't be an avalanche of posts that contest that opinion

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always been big but in 2006 I went up to 130kg by 2009 my body was very stressed
My doctor and dietitian said that I had the signs of prediabetes even if my blood sugar was normal
I lost 30kg then gained 10 back by last year.
Been LCHF since jan and down 14kg
My blood sugar is 4.8 so my doctor says I'm not prediabetic
but I got some ketone sticks and if I eat sugar then I go out of ketosis
Also if I eat sweets etc then I get very tired and dizzy or headache
the next morning my joints are sore and the soles of my feet are swollen and sore
am I prediabetic or maybe pushed my body too far and now have a sensitivity to sugar?
Is there a difference?
Thank you :D

Actually there aren't any reasons for non diabetics to check ketone levels. Why? Everyone has ketones, ketones are released into the blood stream when the cells are breaking down fat for energy (happens when the cells runs out of glucose).

Ketoacidosis however are dangerous and happens when you have both high levels of ketones and high levels of blood glucose. That won't happen to a non diabetic because the insulin can transport the glucose from the blood and into the cells. If your type 1 diabetic the insulin won't transfer the glucose for you, and the body will therefore keep breaking down fat for glucose and releasing even more ketones to the blood stream, making the levels acid, unless you give yourself insulin.

So ketones are only dangerous if you have high blood sugar (not enough insulin).

4.8 mmol are a perfectly normal, so no there is nothing that's indicate you being pre-diabetic. At least not from what you have written here in this thread.

Will had dizzyness and headache aren't the most common symptoms of hyperglycemia, frequent urination and excessive thirst are more of a red flag for diabetes.

Liza20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's not very helpful, what test did you have that suggested prediabetes? Do you test your levels at home?
I don't think they had HBA1C in 2009
They said that my symptoms indicated it
I don't test at home
I must buy a meter

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think they had HBA1C in 2009
They said that my symptoms indicated it
I don't test at home
I must buy a meter

They had HbA1c long before 2009, it's not something new. HbA1c were used as early as 1977.

I wonder, why do you think your diabetic? Having ketones happens to non-diabetics as well, and dizzyness and headach are not symptoms of diabetes.

Liza20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They had HbA1c long before 2009, it's not something new. HbA1c were used as early as 1977.

I wonder, why do you think your diabetic? Having ketones happens to non-diabetics as well, and dizzyness and headach are not symptoms of diabetes.

I had never heard of HBA1C until I watched the Low carb downunder videos
No doctor ever recommended it
In SA they seems to only do fasting glucose tests
the doctor seemed to get irritated when I asked about it (need new doctor but where to find a LCHF one when the medical council is attacking them?)
I forgot to mention my thirst
That was when they said maybe diabetes
because I was constantly thirsty and would drink up to 4l daily
My thirst is much less now on LCHF and I can see now that if I have a bad day and have even a little carbs then I immediately get this terrible thirst and drink liters of water!
I'm trying to keep to 50g veg carbs. 50g protein and the rest fat (no grains at all)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Liza20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually there aren't any reasons for non diabetics to check ketone levels. Why? Everyone has ketones, ketones are released into the blood stream when the cells are breaking down fat for energy (happens when the cells runs out of glucose).

Ketoacidosis however are dangerous and happens when you have both high levels of ketones and high levels of blood glucose. That won't happen to a non diabetic because the insulin can transport the glucose from the blood and into the cells. If your type 1 diabetic the insulin won't transfer the glucose for you, and the body will therefore keep breaking down fat for glucose and releasing even more ketones to the blood stream, making the levels acid, unless you give yourself insulin.

So ketones are only dangerous if you have high blood sugar (not enough insulin).

4.8 mmol are a perfectly normal, so no there is nothing that's indicate you being pre-diabetic. At least not from what you have written here in this thread.

Will had dizzyness and headache aren't the most common symptoms of hyperglycemia, frequent urination and excessive thirst are more of a red flag for diabetes.

I'm not worried about acidosis. I got the ketone strips to see how my insulin reacts to meals.
watched Dr Kraft interview and he said that insulin response is more important than glucose but can't get insulin meter
He said that when insulin goes up then ketones go down so if my ketones go down then I know that insulin has gone up
I forgot to mention constant thirst
I drink out of 500ml glasses
my mouth was always dry
Much better since doing LCHF

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i would put a slightly different spin on this. What you have described is me , including thr massive weight fluctuations. AT the point of diagnoisis my hba1c was 10.3 and fasting bs 18 . after 9 months lchf im 25 kilos down and have an hba1c of around 40. As far as i am concerned i remain severely diabetic controlled by diet alone, and a carby meal makes me feel fill ill and my bs to rise. A succession of them will probably put me back right where i started . If your weight has hit 130 Then with or without diabetes you need to get it down and lchf should work. It will also give yiur doctors an entirely false sense of security.

In south africa there is a big lchf community ethey call it Banting Google that or tim noakes and you will find it . Good luck

Reactions: LizaI