Anonymous Question Am I still diabetic?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done, you are now a within normal range, diet controlled diabetic. diabetes is like your birthday, you mightn't look it but you are that old:)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Your hard work has put you in remission, but once a diabetic always a diabetic. It will come back if you return to your old ways.
Can you let us in on your secret?

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's like AA I'm afraid, once a diabetic always a diabetic. But your body is no longer in a diabetic state, which is all down to you, so congratulations and well done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Are any of us "diabetic" or "not diabetic" in the same way that we may be male or female or tall or short or something else (generally considered) unalterable? Is it not simply a matter of being in a diabetic state or not, similar to being fat or thin? Something alterable, but which individuals may have a pre-disposition towards, or not. Clearly if one has been "in a diabetic state", or has been fat, there is a high risk of going there again and careful monitoring and lifestyle choices are to be strongly advised.

James was very clearly "in a diabetic state" last summer, with an HbA1c of 75. Immediate low carbing, increased exercise and the resultant weight loss led to subsequent HbA1c's of 38, 35 and a week or two ago, 34. His consultant said, "I do not consider you to be diabetic". He backed this up with a heart attack risk calculation, which came up with a less than 10% risk, a substantial drop from the answer a few months back. Please don't imagine that we celebrated with a plate of jam donuts! James clearly has a strong disposition towards diabetes (and obesity), which will be with him for life, so the low carb diet, which we both follow, stays. It's also wonderful to be married to someone who is slim!

It is, of course, all words, as even people in a non-diabetic state walk under buses, have heart attacks and become ill for a variety of reasons. The actual words probably only matter for insurance purposes, or for certain employment situations. So, be glad if you can achieve a non-diabetic state, but remember, where any of us have been before, we can so easily go again.

Sally.

ps. the remarks above are about T2.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are any of us "diabetic" or "not diabetic" in the same way that we may be male or female or tall or short or something else (generally considered) unalterable? Is it not simply a matter of being in a diabetic state or not, similar to being fat or thin? Something alterable, but which individuals may have a pre-disposition towards, or not. Clearly if one has been "in a diabetic state", or has been fat, there is a high risk of going there again and careful monitoring and lifestyle choices are to be strongly advised.

James was very clearly "in a diabetic state" last summer, with an HbA1c of 75. Immediate low carbing, increased exercise and the resultant weight loss led to subsequent HbA1c's of 38, 35 and a week or two ago, 34. His consultant said, "I do not consider you to be diabetic". He backed this up with a heart attack risk calculation, which came up with a less than 10% risk, a substantial drop from the answer a few months back. Please don't imagine that we celebrated with a plate of jam donuts! James clearly has a strong disposition towards diabetes (and obesity), which will be with him for life, so the low carb diet, which we both follow, stays. It's also wonderful to be married to someone who is slim!

It is, of course, all words, as even people in a non-diabetic state walk under buses, have heart attacks and become ill for a variety of reasons. The actual words probably only matter for insurance purposes, or for certain employment situations. So, be glad if you can achieve a non-diabetic state, but remember, where any of us have been before, we can so easily go again.

Sally.

ps. the remarks above are about T2.

Hear, hear, @sally and james

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
It's like AA I'm afraid, once a diabetic always a diabetic. But your body is no longer in a diabetic state, which is all down to you, so congratulations and well done.

So, you don't believe it can be reversed with the Newcastle diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, you don't believe it can be reversed with the Newcastle diet?

Many people can get down to non-diabetic levels with any suitable diet and exercise, but what happens when the diet comes to an end? If you don't follow a sustainable diet there is every possibility things will go belly up again.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people can get down to non-diabetic levels with any suitable diet and exercise, but what happens when the diet comes to an end? If you don't follow a sustainable diet there is every possibility things will go belly up again.
I would say not "possibility" but "inevitability"

I believe the Newcastle diet works. I believe someone who has succeeded with the diet is no longer "diabetic" but is still "a diabetic". I think this distinction, and the consciousness of it, are important for exactly the same reason as in AA. Because a relapse is just as dangerous.

Reactions: 4 people