• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone posted that they sprinkled chilli flakes on Avo's, I am going to give that a try to see what that tastes like.
Yup. Jalapeño is known in guacamole!

Tonight was turkey tenderloin, avo chunks, lettuce and a mayo sauce with chipotle chaloola and Siracha suace. I could eat that every day!!

Chili flakes and a squeeze or lemon or lime and sea salt.

Even Montreal steak seasoning. Hard to find a way not to like it

D

Deleted member 308541

Jalapeño is known in guacamole!
We are going to give this guacamole stuff a try out of container first, then have a go at making it.

I see this thread has now got to the 10 page mark, first time ever for me on this forum starting a thread that hass gone for for a long time. :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We are going to give this guacamole stuff a try out of container first, then have a go at making it.

I see this thread has now got to the 10 page mark, first time ever for me on this forum starting a thread that hass gone for for a long time. :D
I don't care for the texture of store bought. It's slimy and runny.
Simple to make. Take the avo. Smash with a fork. Optional items are lemon or lime sqeeze. Red pepper flakes or jalapeño powder ( or the real deal chopped )' cilantro or basil. Tomato and onion. Sprinkle roasted pepitas on it for a garnish and crunch.
Top anything with it. Fish poultry etc. Eat with a spoon or celery. Or carrot sticks.

Salmon is awesome slathered in guac and on top of lettuce...or not.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations on getting into double figures @Tipetoo, I think your thread will run and run!
It should have been headed Amazing Avocados or Awesome Avocados though! :)

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HAHA. When I saw the new title I thought it was a new thread. Then saw the number of pages!! Too early for me. Haha
But I do love the new name.

By the way. The chili was quite good but lots of work and clean up. I think next time I'll make my avatar and put the spicy sauce with mayo on it. Much simpler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my previously awesome avocados have been amazingly awful avocados this week - the two sitting in the fridge to help slow them ripening turned instead into a squidgy rotten mess inside apparently perfect skins....:eek:

Robbity

PS I thought this was a new thread too until I could no longer find the "old" one!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my previously awesome avocados have been amazingly awful avocados this week - the two sitting in the fridge to help slow them ripening turned instead into a squidgy rotten mess inside apparently perfect skins....:eek:

Robbity

PS I thought this was a new thread too until I could no longer find the "old" one!
Sometimes the season change effects them for a few weeks. This is when I stock up on extras just in case I need to toss them. Mine have MOSTLY been good but a few had some I had to dig out. During the summer they were all beautiful.
This is the time different regions and seasons comes in.
This is one area I will persevere and not give up haha.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So here's the true test. Stupid bs all day. Would t come down then dropped like a rock. Same foods ant timing. So at 3:30 it's time to inject and eat. I decided to test the almighty avo and see how it effects bs without insulin. 70 to start. Will test in an hour. I'm just not sure what to consider them as they are high carb but also almost as high fiber. Then of course the fat. The insulin index puts them very low.

Aldi are still $1.39 from MX but different region. Green so I won't know for days. The Target ( not sure you have that store) had slightly smaller for 4/$3.99. Yup, hoarded those too. Insulin made me do it!!

Off to roast pecans in brown butter for cheese snack.

D

Deleted member 308541

he Target ( not sure you have that store) had slightly smaller for 4/$3.99. Yup, hoarded those too. Insulin made me do it!!

Off to roast pecans in brown butter for cheese snack.
We have Target here but they are more of a department store rather than a produce store.

What's brown butter?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We have Target here but they are more of a department store rather than a produce store.

What's brown butter?
Ours has groceries now. They never did but hardly health food ha

Browned butter is butter that you melt on the stove slowly until It starts turning light brown. Then I toss it over pecans with salt and roast the pecans with the butter to further deepen the flavors. Then top my cheese or just eat haha

Gives it a very nutty deeper flavor. Butter is good but browned butter rocks. It's kind of the difference between a little char grilled steak or burger and slow cooked with no browning or searing. Or crisp chicken skin vs soft and mushy.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-brown-butter-technique.html

The first time I had it was on green beans with ritz crackers crumbled. Oh yum. I've been a browned butter on veggies fan ever since

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The verdict is in. It's a carb and all the fiber cannot be subtracted.
Went from 70-88 in just over an hour.

However, as everything with D , I had not had any insulin since 1:30 and I have no basal left this time of day. BUT I do think if I had not eaten anything I would not have risen.
So maybe the reason it steadies me is it's just the right amount of carbs to protein to balance my insulin.

Now that I have about 15 avo ( insulins fault) I'm not changing anything. Wish those buggers froze well