• Start Date

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ours has groceries now. They never did but hardly health food ha

Browned butter is butter that you melt on the stove slowly until I starts turning light brown. Then I toss it over pecans with salt and roast. Then top my cheese or just eat haha

Gives it a very nutty deeper flavor. Butter is good but browned butter rocks

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-brown-butter-technique.html

The first time I had it was on green beans with ritz crackers crumbled. Oh yum. I've been a browned butter on veggies fan ever since

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The verdict is in. It's a carb and all the fiber cannot be subtracted.
Went from 70-88 in just over an hour.

However, as everything with D , I had not had any insulin since 1:30 and I have no basal left this time of day. BUT I do think if I had not eaten anything I would not have risen.
So maybe the reason it steadies me is it's just the right amount of carbs to protein to balance my insulin.

Now that I have about 15 avo ( insulins fault) I'm not changing anything. Wish those buggers froze well
Can I change my verdict??
Today left the protein out of my first lunch thingy and took same insulin. Just had avocado Dropped at the two hour point and still more at 2.5. Too low so now eating more without insulin. Now I'm thinking it's the protein element at the 2.5 hour mark that raises me. No matter. Still eating them! Just more!!!

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can change what you like. :D

Had a couple of small ones after dinner last night, very nice indeed.
They are gettting a tad smaller but still great flesh. Now I'll be eating 1.5 lol. Works out good as hubby likes half with dinner. I still like popping a new one in the morning. Keep em coming!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So here's the true test. Stupid bs all day. Would t come down then dropped like a rock. Same foods ant timing. So at 3:30 it's time to inject and eat. I decided to test the almighty avo and see how it effects bs without insulin. 70 to start. Will test in an hour. I'm just not sure what to consider them as they are high carb but also almost as high fiber. Then of course the fat. The insulin index puts them very low.

Aldi are still $1.39 from MX but different region. Green so I won't know for days. The Target ( not sure you have that store) had slightly smaller for 4/$3.99. Yup, hoarded those too. Insulin made me do it!!

Off to roast pecans in brown butter for cheese snack.
Now I'm thinking it was the tail end of protein. Dropped low so just ate avo for 5 hours. Thinking it would raise me at least some! Nope stayed steady with no insulin. It's a great food for diabetics !! Now I know when I want to come downa but to just eat the avo and leave the protein for later.
I'm experimenting with not eating protein until mid afternoon and just eating avo and Macs. I have in my notes when I just ate avo I needed half the insulin then when I add protein at bf or the morning. Could be some kind of insulin resistance but with gluconeogenis or glycolysis being wonky in the morning. Just like carb sensitivity gets better later.

I don't remember, do you fast?

D

Deleted member 308541

Could be some kind of insulin resistance but with gluconeogenis or glycolysis being wonky in the morning.
I do not know enough about the insulin side of it, but I hope you work it out so it keeps you good.

D

Deleted member 308541

All I know is avo rocks on.
I will drink to that...
LBjz5xY.jpg
be5Za.gif

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They are gettting a tad smaller but still great flesh.
I went to Waitrose for restocking yesterday. The Mexican ripen at home avocados were available again, they are about 10% smaller than the ones from Peru, but also cost 10% less at 90p each, while the Peruvian ones are £1 each.
I had one of the 'Perfectly Ripe' Peruvians last night, with just some salt and it was perfect.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to Waitrose for restocking yesterday. The Mexican ripen at home avocados were available again, they are about 10% smaller than the ones from Peru, but also cost 10% less at 90p each, while the Peruvian ones are £1 each.
I had one of the 'Perfectly Ripe' Peruvians last night, with just some salt and it was perfect.
It must be location or something. A friend of mine in California bought Peru and they never ripened.
How long do your take? Do they take longer than MX?
The few I have had that ripened were very good and a little different taste. The problem is most haven't been good and had to toss. Not very cost effective and it makes me sad when I bust a bad one in the morning haha

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I buy the 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' from Waitrose. They are usually from Peru, though they did have some from Mexico a couple of weeks ago.
waitrose avocado.jpg
They are ready to eat straight away, though I find they are better the next day or the day after. The 'ripen at home' avocados are loose and can be from Peru, Mexico or South Africa. I find they take 3-4 days to be right to eat. So I buy a couple of the perfectly ripe packs (4 avocados) and a couple of the ripen at home ones. so they are ready to eat when I've finished the perfectly ripe ones.
Waitrose are one of the more 'upmarket' stores and their avocados are always good. The quality can vary at other supermarkets.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy the 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' from Waitrose. They are usually from Peru, though they did have some from Mexico a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 23872 They are ready to eat straight away, though I find they are better the next day or the day after. The 'ripen at home' avocados are loose and can be from Peru, Mexico or South Africa. I find they take 3-4 days to be right to eat. So I buy a couple of the perfectly ripe packs (4 avocados) and a couple of the ripen at home ones. so they are ready to eat when I've finished the perfectly ripe ones.
Waitrose are one of the more 'upmarket' stores and their avocados are always good. The quality can vary at other supermarkets.
The upscale store I shop at always has MX but expensive and not always good. Aldi has slightly smaller ones for half the price and are always good. Costco ( do you have them?) have always had MX that were perfect but for the last few months all Peru. They fly off the shelf but my friend said not good.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is a chart of the seasonal availability of avocados on the US market. The Peru season should be ending soon according to this.

Avo_SeasonalAvailability_Medium.jpg

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Costco ( do you have them?) have always had MX that were perfect but for the last few months all Peru. They fly off the shelf but my friend said not good.
There are Costco stores in UK, but none near where I live. But I'll stick with Waitrose as theirs are consistently good.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen those avo but never bought one.

Your timing is impeccable. My hubby checked out Costco avo and texted me asking what I thought of CHILI! Without your chart I would have hesitated. Haha. They're on their way home but hard as a rock. That's ok as I have a full bowl, about 8 incubating. Excited to try.

Reactions: Prem51