Amitriptyline and BG levels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. I was prescribed Amitriptyline and take 20mg each morning. Around the same time I started taking them I noticed unusually high BG levels an hour or so after breakfast which I couldn't explain. I've looked at the side effects and on forums and the drug is listed as possibly causing the changes.

Has anyone on here had the same experience? I was suffering from pins and needles in my leg and both hands and as it's an anti conversant I was prescribed Amitriptyline.
Any advice much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Glenn

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Borrowed Time
I was diagnosed with Neuropathy about 20 years ago. I had it for about 2 years before the Doctor finally admitted that I was Diabetic and had Neuropathy. The pain in my feet and legs got so bad that I was overdosing on anything I could lay my hands on so the Doctor finally put me on Amitryptyline and another tablet which I cannot remember the name of. After a few months he stopped the other tablet because the pain had decreased.

From my waist down I have an increasing amount of numbness. Legs below the knee and both feet quite numb. Hands also quite numb. I rarely have to use Amitryptyline now except when I sometimes get restless legs at night in bed. The secret is to go to bed tired and try to sleep before the pain starts. But keep some Amitryptyline under your pillow in case sleep is delayed. Don't suffer unnecessarily.

I have not noticed any particular rise in my BG because I always go to bed with BG a litter higher to avoid Hypos - consequently I have to urinate 2 or 3 times every night. I am on Insulin and a new type of Metformin which seems to have no side effects.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again Borrowed Time,

Why not take your tablets at night time? They will help you sleep and don't interfere with your day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Interesting... I also have Amitryptyline prescribed for arthritis (I take two) and mine have 'take at night' printed on the label - I take them about 8.30 and do my last BG reading at bedtime about 2-3 hours later and I've never noticed it has affected my bed time BG test result.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was also prescribed these for neuropathy and the instructions said take one at night increasing to two after 2 weeks , as they make you sleepy I can't see why you would take them in the morning.
I stopped taking them after the first week as I felt like I had a permanent hangover. Going to discuss with my doctor next week about an alternative he suggested duloxetine so may give that a try.

jcummings68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Regarding the amitriptylin use for neuropathy, my experience never affected my blood sugar overnight. I did however experience a very bad reaction when I inadvertently combined it with a cold medication. Numbness in my legs, severely blurred vision and vomiting followed. One of my worst medication gaffes.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Regarding the amitriptylin use for neuropathy, my experience never affected my blood sugar overnight. I did however experience a very bad reaction when I inadvertently combined it with a cold medication. Numbness in my legs, severely blurred vision and vomiting followed. One of my worst medication gaffes.

How awful! I'm on Amitriptyline (for arthritis). Which cold medication does it react with?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OMG, I have got that in the cupboard - well, I did until I read this - now in the bin.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if I led you astray jcummings68 - I was just referring to using Amitriptyline on its own. You need to be careful mixing different drugs, as you have already found out. Sorry.

chewy22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I take amitriptyline for migraines and for pain relief. It does make you feel light headed till you get used to it. I've not found it affects my other medications.