An amazing conversation with my doctor

bluelybell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a nice surprise today when I went to see my doc (Not been feeling great, hairs falling out, really bone tired, emotional, in more pain than normal).

I have lost more than 2st since I started low carb in may when my DN said I needed to double my metformin from 1g to 2g as my A1c was creeping up it had gone up to 61 from 57 I think, couldn't remember what it was. I haven't been taking 2g as I felt rough the first time I took it (never again).

Spoke to the doc and I explained why I was there and said I had lost 2st etc but that I was feeling yucky. She said straight off that that was amazing and that my sugar control was great, I was stunned as that was not the impression I had been given the DN, turns out I had repeated my A1c test a month after seeing DN and my result of 61 and the new result which I didn't get told was 51, yay!!!, that was at the end of june. I was chuffed with but annoyed I hadn't been told. Explained that I was doing LHCF and she said that it was the best thing I could be doing and that all T2 diabetics should be low carb. I love my doc, she's absolutely fabulous but even more so now.

My bmi has come down from 36.7 I think to 30.6 (Not that I hold much store in bmi's) but it's still positive if only to keep the doc happy.

Had been dreading going in as was kind of expecting to have to fight my corner.

I am having my next A1c done this afternoon, hoping it will be better than 51.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hold tight to that doctor! One of the few good ones.

Just a tip. ALWAYS ask for print outs every time you have blood tests. They give you so much more information than doctors and nurses do - and all your blood markers will be there, such as cholesterol, lipids, liver and kidney functions and anything else they throw in. They are enlightening. Never wait to be told - as with what happened to you - we sometimes never get told, or sometimes it may be "fine" or "OK" when it really isn't. You need to know all the levels and any you don't understand, people here will help.

Also, if you are in England you can ask if your surgery puts test results on-line as they are supposed to do, and ask how to register for this. Your results will be up on-line within 48 hours.

Good luck with the HbA1c. While you are there - ask for the print outs of all the tests you've had from diagnosis.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a nice surprise today when I went to see my doc (Not been feeling great, hairs falling out, really bone tired, emotional, in more pain than normal).

I have lost more than 2st since I started low carb in may when my DN said I needed to double my metformin from 1g to 2g as my A1c was creeping up it had gone up to 61 from 57 I think, couldn't remember what it was. I haven't been taking 2g as I felt rough the first time I took it (never again).

Spoke to the doc and I explained why I was there and said I had lost 2st etc but that I was feeling yucky. She said straight off that that was amazing and that my sugar control was great, I was stunned as that was not the impression I had been given the DN, turns out I had repeated my A1c test a month after seeing DN and my result of 61 and the new result which I didn't get told was 51, yay!!!, that was at the end of june. I was chuffed with but annoyed I hadn't been told. Explained that I was doing LHCF and she said that it was the best thing I could be doing and that all T2 diabetics should be low carb. I love my doc, she's absolutely fabulous but even more so now.

My bmi has come down from 36.7 I think to 30.6 (Not that I hold much store in bmi's) but it's still positive if only to keep the doc happy.

Had been dreading going in as was kind of expecting to have to fight my corner.

I am having my next A1c done this afternoon, hoping it will be better than 51.
Brilliant to have a positive experience like that.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with bluetit1802 that if you have a good doctor you are on to a winner. I did not know you could have your results of test printed out or put online, thanks for info.

Good luck with your next visit.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my old GP retired, I was a bit fed up at the prospect of someone new. The "old" guy was very direct and said things as they were, but I quite liked him.

Anyway, my new GP (who isn't my named GP, curiously enough) is fabulous and treats our consultations are a discussion ground where we each say our bit and put forward our opinions.

For me? She's a keeper. :)

Reactions: bluelybell

lynnnora2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She sounds great. My diabetic nurse is brilliant with me... So supportive. It was she who asked me if I wanted to try Lyxumia and it's the best thing I've ever done medication wise so far as my sugars are mostly in the right range now. I used to go to reviews dreading the results... Even when I felt like I was doing OK there was always something not going right. Now I am excited for my next review.

Pattipie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with bluetit1802 that if you have a good doctor you are on to a winner. I did not know you could have your results of test printed out or put online, thanks for info.

Good luck with your next visit.
Neither did I but I will ask next visit. My doc is very supportive of low carb and I have so far lost just under 2st. Darned hard going though!