Animas Vibe pump

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
@Brava210 You have actually read my mind! I've been wrecking my brain everyday about this decision and I just keep coming back to that very fact, the 640G has lots of room for improvement in respect of it's sensors and CGM, whereby the Animas Vibe will probably be getting replaced at some point and I did find the menus quite difficult to navigate. Which is why I'm now almost certain I'll be going for the 640G. :)

Just out of interest (and I have asked @Spiker this question already), does anybody know how much the Dexcom Transmitters are when bought through Animas? Are they still £350 or do you get them a bit cheaper?

Probably doesn't matter now anyway as I've pretty much decided on the 640G but thought it would be interesting to know anyway. :)
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@Brava210 You have actually read my mind! I've been wrecking my brain everyday about this decision and I just keep coming back to that very fact, the 640G has lots of room for improvement in respect of it's sensors and CGM, whereby the Animas Vibe will probably be getting replaced at some point and I did find the menus quite difficult to navigate. Which is why I'm now almost certain I'll be going for the 640G. :)

Just out of interest (and I have asked @Spiker this questio already), does anybody know how much the Dexcom Transmitters are when bought through Animas? Are they still £350 or do you get them a bit cheaper?

Probably doesn't matter now anyway as I've pretty much decided on the 640G but thought it would be interesting to know anyway. :)
Thanks everyone!
There's a new animas pump in a couple of years as will have the all singing G6 sensor :) Transmitter is £335 from animas. My transmitter is 14 months old now and still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh no! Well I suppose it's done you well though. Thanks. :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That sucks. :-(
It sure did as it was Saturday when the alert sounded and Animas not open for orders on a Saturday.
I'm half way through cutting a transmitter that @Engineer88 kindly posted to me. I've come to the conclusion that I'm no precision cutter with my multi tool :(

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
14 months is still very good for the transmitter. Do you know what causes them to drain faster or slower?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
14 months is still very good for the transmitter. Do you know what causes them to drain faster or slower?
No idea at all, did wonder though if it lasted longer with continuous use. The transmitter is still working 4 days after the low battery warning, mind you the readings are def not accurate so wouldn't trust it. Still waiting for the courier to turn up with the new transmitter. I shall then attempt to change the transmitter without having to remove the sensor. (cheap skate) :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CarbsRok - I have heard of people doing that, how old is the sensor?

I ask because the transmitter only transmits data, I am pretty sure it doesn't actually do any calculations, or anything. So i can't see why a bad transmitter would affect the quality of readings, it would have to be a sensor or receiver issue.

Also - have you thought about leaving this on until it dies completely so you get a better idea of life after 'low battery' ? I have read some people getting up to 3 weeks with low battery warnings...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I ask because the transmitter only transmits data, I am pretty sure it doesn't actually do any calculations, or anything. So i can't see why a bad transmitter would affect the quality of readings, it would have to be a sensor or receiver issue.
Although poor transmission could affect the data packets and result in incomplete data transmission. That could theoretically cause accuracy issues.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@CarbsRok - I have heard of people doing that, how old is the sensor?

Also - have you thought about leaving this on until it dies completely so you get a better idea of life after 'low battery' ? I have read some people getting up to 3 weeks with low battery warnings...
The sensor is only a week old so plenty of life in it yet :) It was due a restart today so changed the transmitter just before the restart was due all is now working as I would expect i.e., in range. I had my monies worth from the transmitter 14 months and 12 days, so more than happy with that. In the UK the guarantee for the transmitter starts from the day of purchase as well so wasn't going to waste that :)

Vanster07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sorry i'm new to all this, (not being a type 1, 35 years man and boy) anyway i'm getting a pump for first time tomorrow an accu chek insight from clinic was just wondering why or how you were offered all these different pump and cgm combs because when i asked about getting a cgm i was told the nhs dont offer them?
What am i doing wrong because id love to have a pump and cgm?????

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Vanster07 Almost no one gets a CGM off the NHS. Those that have them generally have to pay their own costs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi sorry i'm new to all this, (not being a type 1, 35 years man and boy) anyway i'm getting a pump for first time tomorrow an accu chek insight from clinic was just wondering why or how you were offered all these different pump and cgm combs because when i asked about getting a cgm i was told the nhs dont offer them?
What am i doing wrong because id love to have a pump and cgm?????
Well there are two pumps that are cgm compatible, so most of us who want a CGM choose these pumps as it's cheaper in the long run for self funding the transmitter and sensors as no receiver to buy as already in the pump :)

Vanster07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
oh sorry i must have misread your first comment as I thought you were being offered by an nhs clinic different pump options, so i'm assuming your self funding it all then pump and cgm combo.
its a bit annoying that the cgms have such a short year long life, as i was considering a cgm to go along with my accu chek insight but think it might get a bit expensive especially as were a captive market greed, greed, greed

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i was considering a cgm to go along with my accu chek insight but think it might get a bit expensive especially as were a captive market greed, greed, greed
If there wasn't a profit to be made in selling CGMs there would be 3 of them in the entire world, they would weight 50 lbs each and be the size of an army rucksack. So, take your pick.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pumps are funded by NHS but the Sensors and transmitters for the CGM are self funded. Two pumps which have a built in CGM receiver are Animas Vibe and Medtronic 640G. Animas Vibe uses the Dexcom G4 sensors/transmitters and Medtronic do their own transmitter and Enlite sensors. I will be getting Medtronic 640G pump in the next few weeks (fingers crossed). :)

Vanster07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The drug and pharmaceutical companies always claim that the reason they are charging the consumers (us) or the nhs (oh us again) so much is to claim back the huge cost of the development but several years later when the have spent 10 million on development but gained 10 billion in profit they keep on charging that's the greed part. They will develop anything that makes big profits so no it wouldn't be the size of a ruck sack. How about 10 billion profit and then let us type 1's have it for free or reasonable prices?????
Anyway Spicey good luck with the 640 and let us know how you get on as i might get one too!!!