Animas Vibe users..Advice please

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kind folks just a bit of advice sought please regarding filling the Animas Vibe cartridge with insulin. I have reduced my carb intake and need to change infusion sets every 2 days opposed to 3 days. My query is that i am due to change sets tonight but still have 35 units of insulin left in my cartridge. can i just draw up additional insulin into the same cartridge (obviously completely change the cannula set) as am a bit reluctant to totally discard the insulin not used or is it always advisable to throw away any remaining insulin and fill up a new cartridge? Advice would be apprecialted.

Many thanks

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately not. The insulin kind of slowly dilutes the plastic of the cartridge. This is is one of the reasons for changing the set every two to three days. I know it's a pain and you waste insulin.

Reactions: mentat

iHs

Hi

you can change yr cartridge when it runs out of insulin. You don't have to change the set and the cartridge at the same time if you don't need to. I often replace the sensor on a different day to the cartridge. It's easy to do on the Vibe.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm stingy and I often suck the insulin from the tubing back into the cartridge, squirt the insulin into the new cartridge, and then top up with fresh insulin. There's a good 15 or 20 units in there, even when the pump says 0u.