Animas vibe

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CarbsRok, yep it shows the basal being delivered. Seem to be getting on with cannula ok

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's what I thought. Opened a new box of canulas. Now on phone to Animas

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good :) Good luck on finding the cause and getting it sorted as soon as possible. I know how frustrating and stressful it is.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very helpful lady at Animas. Went through the lot & she said everything is right?! Pump is bolusing correctly, numbers haven't come down at all - 21.5 it's just like it isn't working??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you corrected with a pen recently? The pen should work, although it may take more insulin and a longer time than normal. I never use my pump until I'm satisfied my levels are back where they should be. It can be a real fight once they get high sometimes.

My only other idea is that you're coming down with an illness or have some kind of infection.

Keep notes of what you're doing - your food, results, boluses, temp rates, etc. then if you need to speak to someone you have that info there.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you actually used a new vial of insulin? Perhaps the insulin is faulty!

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes a new vial this am. Have had a rest up this afternoon. Numbers are down to 14, I did inject 5 units earlier when I was 23. Going to make a cup of coffee, drank water all day. Have something light for tea.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Hello Jess

its not that uncommon for pumpers to need more basal once the effects of lantus and levemir have dwindled. At the moment yr bg is way too high so it does look like you need to zdjust yr basal rates remembering to allow a time gap of 2hrs. Have a look in the Vibe manual for basal rate adjustment and then look at the basal rates on yr pump. Not sure how many basal rate time slots yr dsn or pump rep have created for you, but try to create 12 time slots so that if need be you can adjust the basal rates every 2hrs according to how high or low yr bg levels are. Have a look online at G. Scheiners basal rste adjustment guide and look in the correct column and row whivh will guide you to acjust the basal ok. If you are not sure about adjusting the basals yrself, then get yr dsn to help you. In the meantime, try using the TBR function on the pump and increase the % by about 140% to see if yr bg stsrts to lower a bit. Also, eat food thats low carb for time bding until you are able to get yr basals ok. If the TBR works, then you will know that the problem is with yr basal rates so test, test yr bg and use the levels you get to adjust the basal rates. Sith really high bg levels, i always use my pen and revert back to pump when bg is lower.

Slowly you will get the hang of pumping and tweaking yr basals

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@his Jess was already on a pump, she has just transferred to the Vibe.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on Humalog, from 14.5, they rose an hour later to 16.5,had 2 boiled eggs, tested again 45 mins later 16.2, just got in & done a bm & 22 injected 5 units. Got a nurse from Animas ringing me soon. Totally losing confidence in this new pump

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Spiker had loads of issues with his. Wasn't it a combination of the sets and also the insulin chamber not sealing properly?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas nurse just rang me 9.45 injected 5 units, she said to change tubing & set. At 10.25 tonight while on the phone to nurse bm was 21,tested on 2 bm kits, so now it seems injection isn't working. Got the new site in & will give it an hour & see what happens. If it isn't sorted think I may have to go to hospital

iHs

@Jessd if suspect that the Vibe might be faulty, try using yr old pump again. If yr basals are the problem, the old pump will reveal that. If its the infusion sets, try using the Vibe set with yr Combo pump as its all luer lock so no problem. One way or another you will find what the culprit is. Above all though, dont mess about if yr bg is really high and you dont feel too good. Insulin pens to the rescue to get bg ok and then mess about with pump.
Are you using the Inset II, 30,Contact D or Comfort. If its the Inset Ii, is the white spring locking ok and the introducer not revealing part of the cannula when the spring is pulled back to lock it before its released?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's yes using the inset ll, yes seems to be locking ok, changed the set not long ago & went in fine, going to give it 30 mins & then do another bm, hoping it is down. Animas nurse did say they'd be happy to send out a new pump, which is very good of them but don't know if there is a problem with this pump, when I changed tubing tonight it primed fine

iHs

Try using a Combo set with the Vibe. Do you have any Flexlinks or Rapid Ds? Do you have any insulin in yr frudge that you could use if the insulin at room temp has gone off.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have got flex links. Just done a bm - 18.8, think that's the injection that's brought that down, glad it's heading right way ☺ hopefully. Set an alarm for hour & half's time, will see what it is then, if it's not below 10 I will given insulin via pump & then check again in 2 hours. Yes I do have insulin in fridge, I have been using that when injecting

iHs

Insert a flexlink and attach new tube to a cartridge filled up with fridge insulin and shove that in the Vibe just to see if the pfoblem sorts itself out. If bg xtill goes off the scale, then use pen and correct using a tiny bit more insulin to get bg to lower. Then try yanking uo the TBR to 200% just for an hour. That should make bg drop if the pump is working. If the TBR does the trick, then the problem is either going to be the sets or the basals not right. Even though basals might have been ok last week, it doesnt mean that they will still be ok this week as pumping does make you stand to attention.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When you fill the cartridge, how exactly are you doing it?

If after injecting insulin via a pen then no improvement you have a problem with either the insulin or you have an infection.
Do you still have your old pump? If so set it up and try with that.

Following on from @iHs comment regarding basal not being right, do also look into this as I founwhen I plugged my old pump in I was going hypo even though the setting were exactly the same. So obviously the pump companies work things out differently for delivery purposes. Soon as replacement pump appeared on the scene exactly the same settings needed for the defunct vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply. Now down at hospital. Numbers rising thus am from 17 - 25 that's with injecting insulin too