Ankle pain.

Graham55

Hi all, Looking for some advice.

I was given stinvastains and after about two months had ankle pain real bad, could hardly stand sometimes, I stopped taking after i read about statins causing this.

Now after about eight months i still have bad ankle pain i am wondering if this could be nerve pain,
It`s like a knife in my ankle and is real stiff when walking, have to take pain killers just to work.
Help.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sounds like it's not statins if you have stopped them. My sore ankle turned out to be a chipped bone. go to the Doctor and get it seen.

Graham55

Hi Hanadr,
I wat thinking after eight months the statins should have worn off, I have my yearly very soon so will say it then, Ta.
Graham T2 for a year.

Katharine

Another possibility is gout. Many people with type two and metabolic syndrome get it. You could get a blood test from the doc to see if this is the problem or not.

Statins tend to cause diffuse muscle pain rather than localised joint pain.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi I get ankle pain and it is arthritis :cry: - I take statins but ankle pain started long before that.

Regards Chris

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I get pain in my calves....both legs. I do take statins too. Only for the last month or two though.

Graham55

Hi,
All my pain in my ankle, right up to not being able to even stand only started after taking Statins.
Graham T2 for one year.

JohnnyAngel57

I take simvastatin 1 per night, and I get quite a bit of cramps, which I realise is part of the side effects, plus I was getting pain in my muscles, which I informed my gp, but he said it wasn't an issue, so have to put up with it, but I must say it hasn't been as much of a problem in the last couple of months. My biggest problem is remembering to take the darn things. I get 30 days supply and they end up lasting me about 45 days cos of forgetting them, even though I have my mobile ring at 10pm every night, I just forget or fall asleep and remember next morning when its too late. I must take better care :shock:
John

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I keep forgetting to take my simvastin too. I'm always getting told off by the diabetic nurse. they keep a check on the rgularity of my prescriptions. Liek being back at school!!
I get pain in my calf muscles too but the last week or so they haven't been as bad. I've been taking them for nearly 2 years and it's only happened the last 3 months or so. Must remember to mention at enxt diabetes mot. :wink:

Graham55

I took them for about a month untill i could hardly stand, now i have not taken one for 10 months and still walk with a limp, and a very tender left ankle, NHS wonder drugs yea great aint they.
T2 for about a year.

Trinkwasser

Katharine said:
Another possibility is gout. Many people with type two and metabolic syndrome get it. You could get a blood test from the doc to see if this is the problem or not.

Statins tend to cause diffuse muscle pain rather than localised joint pain.

Mother gets gout. She also has arthritis. One of our GPs pointed out a rough "rule of thumb" test: if the joint is hot to the touch it's probably the gout, if not it's probably just the arthritis.

As to what sets it off we're not so sure, I was pointed to a list of purine containing foods here of all places

http://www.britishdalmatianclub.org.uk/ ... 202003.htm

(only a dalmation owner would feed her dog endive)

Problem is, even avoiding all the high purine things only reduces but doesn't eliminate it.