1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Annual check up & blood tests - question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by MelanieL, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

1. MelanieL

MelanieL · Active Member

I'm going crazy, as I've been T1 for 10 or more years, but I'm confused. It's time for my annual check up, with the usual blood tests that precede the event. This year, when I booked it, the GP receptionist told me that I needed to fast for 12 hours, which is fair enough, but he also told me that I must not have any fluids - even water.
    I didn't query it at the time, but now, confronted with the test tomorrow, the thought of not a drop of water between now and 9.30 in the morning seems unusual, and I can't remember if I was told the same thing last year!
    What does everyone else do prior to their tests? Water, or no water?

2. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No restriction on water, in fact it is good to be hydrated as it makes extracting blood easier. I was told once by a receptionist not to drink water, my DN said " where do they get these people from?"

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

It is normal to allow water. It isn't good for the blood flow to be dehydrated, so it makes it more difficult to draw.
    You aren't having any different tests for something else other than your normal ones are you?
    It is better to fast if your test includes cholesterol and lipids as anything you eat beforehand can affect the result (adversely)

4. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was allowed water, hope your test goes okay.

5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The pathology shop I get my blood test done at have this pdf with instructions on what to do prior to fasting blood tests

http://www.snp.com.au/media/80135/item_34167_blood_tests_fasting_july_2016.pdf

6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How timely is this post. I’m going for my diabetic bloods tomorrow too! I haven’t been told to fast, never have done but in an attempt to prop up my argument against Statins I’ve decided to fast to get the most accurate lipid screen! I was going to ask if it was just water I could drink. I was hoping a black coffee would be allowed :banghead:

7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope, sorry no flavouring in the water.

As per the pdf file I quoted before.

I was really hanging out for my heartstarter coffee on Monday morning myself.

8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So I see! :grumpy: Never mind, I’ll survive!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook