Another 30 minutes shouting at the TV...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone watch Fat The healthy option? on ITV.. I thought it might give us some open minded and useful info... what a disappointment. Apart from telling us that transfats were bad it then went on to give all the usual Calories in Calories Out **** and demonising saturated fat once again.. How come all the nutrition "experts" look so bloody ill? Why didn't they get anyone who knows what they were talking about rather than wheeling out the second rate science..opportunity missed yet again.

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner says it is always skinny doctors who tell you to lose weight so I'm not surprised the nutrition experts looked ill.

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They make programmes to suit their audience. The programmes made by Michael Moseley are/tend to be more enlightened but the cheaper 'experts' who look good on camera draw more viewing figures. Even though to us they may look unwell and spout the myths about healthy diets ultimately the programme makers are there to make money. I am glad I missed that programme as the myths are reinforced the more they are spoken of and it is sad to think of younger people being almost indoctrinated by silly people who may not realise the harm they do.

Reactions: dbr10 and TIANDB

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a rather obese locum, who didn't have a clue, told me to eat less and I would sleep better and loose weight!!

Reactions: dbr10

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't see it but for me calories in calories out is very much true for me if I want to lose weight (not talking about control of blood sugar) I very much have to count calories as well as carbs and if I do eat over 1200 on a regular basis wherever I get those calories from I stall or gain - I hate it but it's a fact of life for me

There is a good few of us here to whom calories matter and often the advice if someone post that they are not losing weight is to look at their calorie intake and maybe cut down on the nuts or cheese or whatever if they are following a LCHF lifestyle

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone watch Fat The healthy option? on ITV.. I thought it might give us some open minded and useful info... what a disappointment. Apart from telling us that transfats were bad it then went on to give all the usual Calories in Calories Out **** and demonising saturated fat once again.. How come all the nutrition "experts" look so bloody ill? Why didn't they get anyone who knows what they were talking about rather than wheeling out the second rate science..opportunity missed yet again.
Then they 'rolled out' the healthy plate which consisted of 33% carbs!

Reactions: dbr10

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
and it was pasta! sometimes I need a wall to bash my head against...and the skinless chicken breast...
I tend to eat more carbs than many on the forum (low carbish as opposed to low carb) and even I wouldn't eat that much!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can you find any low carb biltong though? Always seems to have sugar in it..
Yes, there's rather a nice Saffa shop near where I work, which makes proper "pure" biltong, seasoned with herbs/spices. No sugar. Marvellous!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, there's rather a nice Saffa shop near where I work, which makes proper "pure" biltong, seasoned with herbs/spices. No sugar. Marvellous!
Now that does sound good..still not better than chicken skin tho!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One of the gps at my practice tried the weight nagging approach - he was / is the most obese person Ive ever met!
One of the DNs at my surgery is the same, the one who suggested white bread would be a good carb to reintroduce carbs to my diet. I do hope she missed the look on my face.

Reactions: darenu and dbr10