1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another Anti-Cancer Benefit for taking Metformin

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Contralto, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

In a recent issue of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy News, an article, DECEMBER 23, 2016
    Low-Dose Metformin Suppresses New Lesions After Polypectomy

“Low-dose metformin was associated with a statistically significant reduction in the incidence of metachronous adenomas or polyps after polypectomy, and may have chemopreventive effects against cancer,” concluded Takuma Higurashi, MD, a researcher in the Division of Gastroenterology at Yokohama City University School of Medicine, in Japan. Presenting these data at the 2016 Digestive Disease Week (abstract 937), Dr. Higurashi noted that the benefit of metformin appeared to correlate with improvement in beta cell function as measured with the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance

http://www.gastroendonews.com/In-th...ons-After-Polypectomy/38776/ses=ogst?enl=true

anyone find the original research online?

2. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been very lucky, I started taking Metformin in 1997. 2012 - large polyp removed during colonoscopy, followed by serious internal bleed. I only needed 4 units and 4 litres of saline. 2013 - Another large polyp, looks like an inflated rubber glove, biopsy showed that it was benign so left in case of further complications like bleeding out. 2016 - yet another polyp, pleased to say that is also benign and they have left it. Now, what was that about " . . . a statistically significant reduction in the incidence of metachronous adenomas or polyps after polypectomy, and may have chemopreventive effects against cancer,” Maybe just the last bit then.

3. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I know I am cynical after being given lots of strange reasons why I should take Metformin. I like the one about benefits down the line by the way, that always gives me a smirk. I am already down the line so I missed it.

I am going to hold out until it cures baldness.

PS. Sixteen polyps so far with no complications and no bleeding. I am sure you all wanted to know that. All benign.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavidGrahamJones

The interesting thing about the research being done into existing drugs which are out of patent is that if they can find an additional use for the drug then they can apply for another patent for the different use.

Gabapentin is a good example and I'm a bit sketchy on the exact details even though HID has presented a paper on this subject. It was originally for Epilepsy and the manufacturer accidentally let the patent lapse by not paying the fees. That allowed generics to be made. Then they discovered that it was good for neuropathic pain and applied for another patent to cover that use. Consequently if prescribed a generic for pain, it's technically breaking the law. Also the companies making the generic are cashing in on a loophole that allows them to continue making it for Epilepsy.

5. Contralto

That's a pretty interesting observation. Also, with masses of us taking drugs like Metformin, the docs have an opportunity to see what else improves or, in the case of other drugs, see whether in year 7 or 10, different side effects start to show up

Look what happens, for example, in the side effects of ARBs, the longer you take them, the more likely you are to get chronic diarrhea. Some drugs haven't been tested long enough to see whether, for example, medulary thyroid cancer is to be expected the longer you inject that Victoza, Byetta, whatever, as opposed to just noticing which % of folks on the drug have this horrigying side effect.

6. DavidGrahamJones

It's a problem for the pharmaceutical industry, because they will never be able to do what some might call adequate testing in the life time of the patent (20 years max although in the U.S. presidents have been known to extend the life of some patents).

BTW, HID is a patent lawyer, so I get my info from the horses mouth as it were. I hope she doesn't read this LOL

7. Contralto

Don't know who HID is, so can't cause trouble

8. DavidGrahamJones

Her In Doors AKA "my wife". An urban expression popularized by Arthur Daley in British TV series 'Minder'. I guess you have to be old like me to remember that far back although it's a term I hear from the mouths of those much younger than me.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook