Another confused person

premiere

Hopefully this is the right board.....and I must apologise for this very long post.

Last year (beginning) I was initially diagnosed as type 2 (and registered on the Diabetes register by my GP) which came as a real shock and told I would on Diet and Exercise only. I wasn't convinced with my initial GP's results (two tests over 7 (8.4 and 7.1 - a week apart), hba1c of 6.1 (done by the hospital) so queried this. I know this was probably denial, but I am a stubborn old git. They referred me to the Diabetes Lead GP in our practice who kindly organised an OGTT. This came back at 10 (6.0 when I got to hospital and 10 two hours after the drink) from the hospital. Although very high, not high enough to be declared Diabetic ( < 11.1 mmol) so I was removed from the Diabetes register and 'regraded' as Impaired Glucose Tolerance (Pre-Diabetes).

Admittedly the GP has advised me 'not to be a stranger' as they did not hold out much hope of me being able to over come the pre-diabetes and were sure I would fall over the fence into type 2.

I am now a gym nut have initially lost just over a stone in weight and am at the point of the following:

1. Immediately after waking, I take my levels (Aviva Nano) - Most days c6.0. Sometimes just under
2. 2 hours after eating approx 7ish or just under regardless of what I eat (except biscuits)
3. If I have a Mars Bar at work at say 2:30 - 3pm, by the time I get home at 5pm, I am usually about mid-4's but have been down lower and my eyesight is then back from being blurred to the same as when I was just a 'wee young man!' before all of these issues.

My issue now is that I am either diabetic proper and am completely out of control or suffer hypoglycemia not diabetes as I get periods where I really feel very very unwell. I know hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and the reason I think this is I have more of these symptoms (below) that those of diabetes (or so I have read)

1. Blurred Vision (never had glasses before)
2. Anxiety
3. Feeling of impending doom
4. Feeling faint and dizzy. Symptoms go away and I am back to myself 15 mins after taking in sugar (chocolate, apple etc etc)
5. Confusion
6. Trembling
7. Mood swings/irritibility

I don't have thirst, wee wee problems. I get the issues above but more often than not I just suddenly feel very very unwell and ill, which does subside after a sugar load.

Help!...admittedly my diet leaves a bit to be desired.......

C

catherinecherub

Hi premiere,

My advice is to go back to your G.P. and explain what is happening. Nobody here is able to diagnose. He may refer you to a dietitian if he suspects reactive hypoglycemia as opposed to diabetes.

Catherine.

Lisa65

I've had that shaky, irritable, sweaty, confused, relieved-by-sugar feeling most of my life. I used to be a student nurse so could measure my BG on the ward. It would regularly drop to below 3 mmol/l and on one occasion it was 1.3 (although I'm sure this must have been a fault with the machine). I found a sugary snack would have me feeling better quite rapidly, but sometimes within hours I would be feeling like rubbish again. For various reasons, my diet was pretty terrible at that period of my life.

Now 15 years on, I find out I'm T2. I have no idea if this is related to my previous problems with yo-yoing BG's.

Your last sentence is probably the most revealing one. I obviously can't diagnose you and would reiterate what Catherine said which is to go back to your GP if you are concerned. But additionally, if your diet isn't the best, perhaps you could make some changes there and see if it improves things.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Lisa65 said:
I've had that shaky, irritable, sweaty, confused, relieved-by-sugar feeling most of my life. I used to be a student nurse so could measure my BG on the ward. It would regularly drop to below 3 mmol/l and on one occasion it was 1.3 (although I'm sure this must have been a fault with the machine). I found a sugary snack would have me feeling better quite rapidly, but sometimes within hours I would be feeling like rubbish again. For various reasons, my diet was pretty terrible at that period of my life.

I was pretty much like you Lisa before I was diagnosed t2 bout 7 yrs ago. I used to forget to eat and was working full time. I was prescribed oral meds. I am insulin dependent now after suffering Acute pancreatitis but am having these awful feelings again. My bs suffers highs and lows and HBA1c usually about 8ish. Sunday went down to 4 and after glucose and lunch went back up but left me feeling ill all day. I was shaky, tired, a bit slow and with blurred vision. I am trying to get back on oral meds but dont know if my pancreas will allow it, just have to keep trying. As part of my recovery I am doing gym workouts and swimming twice weekly and walking daily. Hope with this my hbac1 will eventually come down.

Polly