Type 2 another new member

dereky3527

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Every one,I'm Derek, I'm New to this forum but was diagnosed type 2 about 4 years ago , the year before was told pre diabetes, just told to get some weight off and do more exercise , stopped 98% sugar 99% beer didn't know any thing about low carb , was put on a coarse of 3 different pills , blood pressure , Glucophage 500 ,and simvastatin20 mg tried very hard to lose weight, nothing seemed to work, not even some use less pills bought off the internet, cut back on food quantity no weight came off, just got very hungry, yearly visits to the doc just got the same message try to loose weight and get more exercise, by the way I'm 78 and weigh 91 kg most of this is on my belly, any way came across this site a couple of months ago and learned a bit about low carb and decided to try , boy is it hard to give up potatoes, spaghetti and rice in one go, that was more than 90+% of my normal daily food, sort of tried first couple of weeks, not really 100% cut out every thing just cut back .That didn't work so start again about 5 weeks ago chuck away all my carbs from the kitchen and low calorie low carb go, After 2 weeks stopped feeling so hungry and started to loose weight lost 8 kg up to now and 3 inch off my wast so pleased with my self, now regularly read forums came across a blog about glucophage can cause mussel pain and i had been having quite severe pain in my left bicep, so I cut out the the glucophage and the pain has all but gone , how important is this medicine and what does it do?, I am on holiday at this moment and have a doc/nurse appointment in 2 weeks , am I lightly to run into any serious problems before this. bp this morning 131/80 fbs 6.8, any advice welcome, or where I can find out about the effects of this drug or lack of

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well done on your progress. It seems you are handling this well, and I hope you can keep it up. :)

Glucophage is Metformin I believe. It is a very mild drug and doesn't help a great deal with keeping blood sugars low. It does help, to a limited extent, by helping to reduce insulin resistance and by helping to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally. It is mainly an appetite suppressant. Stopping it won't do you any harm, but are you sure it was that causing your muscle pain? I see you take Simvastatin - that is far more likely to cause muscle pain. It is a very common side effect.

This should help with Metformin side effects
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-side-effects.html

and some more about it
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/diabetes-and-metformin.html

I must ask you use your meter to test out your chosen meals? If you test before you eat and 2 hours after first bite you can see at a glance what that meal has done to your levels, and from that can adjust portion sizes or eliminate some of the carbs completely.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday, and don't worry about the Metformin!

Reactions: Nidge247 and Prem51