another new one diagnosed.

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.
Hi everyone, i was diagnosed last week , on my birthday actually. At first i thought ok, lets get on with it, but this week i feel its harder than i thought. i'm on metformin 3 aday and my levels are still fairly high, 11.9 or even 10.8 in the morning without anything for 9 hours! thats not right is it?
I've not got an appointment with the diabetic nurse until 5th feb. It seems as if i need never eat again and still have a bm of 10. I've cut out sugar and bread is down to 2 slices a day. Never been one for chocs and sweet things anyway. Do you think i need more tablets or more time to settle. Fed up :(

Dee.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hi Dee, and welcome.

You don't say whether your BG has come down at all. It can take time for the Metformin to really take effect. From personal experience, it took around four weeks to get my BG regularly below 10 :) You're right those numbers are still high.

Other than cutting out sugar and bread, have you made any other changes to your diet? Don't get too disheartened, things can get better.

Regards, Tubs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Dee and welcome to the forum.The best way to get your blood sugars down fairly quickly is to reduce all carbs that you eat.Once your levels are down to 7 or below then you can begin to find out what sort of diet will suit you best to maintain this control.
If you cut down the portions of Bread,potatoes,rice and pasta and all flour based products you will soon see a reduction in your blood sugar levels.Test before a meal then two hours after and ,if the readings are about the same you know that that meal was alright.Keep a food diary for a week and record all your tests as well and you will see a pattern to all this.
Please have a good read round the forum and you will find a lot of helpful advice.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya dee,
welcome to the forum :D

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've just ordered the collins carb book and will take all your comments on board. i do wonder what will be left to eat though. As i said i dont care much for sweet things but carbs have been my main foods.
In answer to the bg question the lowest bm i've had is 7.9 after missing my porridge one morning. That was 25 hrs without food and only 2 coffees with sweetner (ugh).
Tonight i've taken a metforin and not eaten just to see what my bg does. At 7:30 my bg was 11.8 and 2hrs later its now 7.2. I know it's naughty. :oops:
( I will eat if it gets any lower.)

Dee

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't starve yourself Dee!Once you get the hang of what to eat you will find that there is plenty to eat and you never need to feel hungry.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Don't starve yourself :) please.

Metformin encourages insulin uptake and works with the liver in reducing glucose production, not eating doesn't necessarily help with that.

There are alternatives to carbs, which is a good thing, and we don't need as many carbs as Big Food would like us to have. And a good diet isn't necessarily a boring one either :) Take a look in the food forum for some good ideas.

There are a number of recommendations on this site about diet, and you really need to find the one that works for you. The main factor is that a lot of us have seen benefit from reducing carbs to some degree.

Regards, Tubs.

dippydeedi

Dislikes
I wont starve myself, promise. Just need to learn more about it all. I'm glad i found you all today it was by chance and just at the right time. Oh, also my mouth is sooo dry all the time, is this the metformin?
Dee.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Dry mouth could be the Metformin but also the fact that your blood sugars are quite high.

Trinkwasser

I suspect two things

[1] your metformin hasn't yet started to work, the effect builds up over a few weeks and may need a dose increase, often they will start you at 500 mg and work you up slowly, some people need 2500 to get the full effect

[2] you are hovering around "glucose toxicity" where your BG has been so high for so long that your body is used to it and is trying to keep it high. This will take time to break out of.

Have a read around the sticky threads and Success Stories, and here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Today i started a low carb diet. I had bacon and eggs for lunch and some nuts after. My bg had been 9.1 at 7am I had coffee with tiny bit of milk x3 through out the morning at work then at 1pm i had 3 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs some tinned tomatoes and some nuts to follow. 2hours later my bg was 5.2!!!!! this is the lowest ever. i.m dead chuffed.At 7:15pm it was 6.6 after half a glass of soya milk and a satsuma orange. These have been the lowest readings todate. Only trouble is i'm not hungry at all and i should have something else to eat and a metformin. Not sure what to do here now. Any advice?
Dee

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
try to eat something if u need a tablet or u may get a upset tummy, but well done to your bg numbers yayyy :D

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Thanks, i've had a few nuts and a coffee. Gonna do my bg at bed time. Be interesting to see my bg levels in the morning.
Thank you everyone you've really helped pull me back. This site is amazing, so full of info and as you say, about REAL people
Thank you.
Dee :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done Dee.

Keep us posted and we'll help you out if we can

All the best,

fergus