Another Newbie

Iluvelvis

I was diagnosed with type 2 in January. I've been trying to get it under control, but I now think the time has come when I need to join a diet club specifically for diabetis .. any suggestions? It's like a minefield out there with all the different diets.
Thanks

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Iluvelvis, and welcome!

Many of us on here manage our condition very well with a variety of diets - there is plenty of choice! Have a read around on the Low-carb Diet Forum and the Non-low carb forum, under Nutrition, and see what you think.

Daisy1, who welcomes our newbies, will be along soon with the basic information that we all find helpful. Meanwhile - you could find out if there's a diabetes support group in your local area (info maybe from your GP's surgery or the library - if you still have one!). Some of the usual slimming groups have diets specifically tailored for diabetics - someone will be along soon who knows more than I do. If you don't need to lose weight you can just eat more of the right foods.

Meanwhile, you've come to the right place. Everyone here is friendly and helpful, and you'll get lots of support. Don't be afraid to ask questions - we were all newbies once, so we know what it's like. And don't be put off if we start squabbling :roll: - it's just like a big family :lol:

Viv 8)

PS LouiseB beat me to it!

pianoman

Hello and Welcome :)

I can't advise on clubs although I understand the group support can be a benefit. No doubt someone with more direct experience of them will be along.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
And I was beaten to it too ! Welcome to the forum Iluvelvis (so do I :wink: just disregard my signature :lol: ) I'm afraid I can't help you find a club (not living in the UK) but with all the members we have on this forum I expect someone will know of one and will answer you soon.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Welcome to us all here :D , just a thought with you seeking direction with regards to diet for diabetics etc have you not been asked if you would like a referral to a trained dietician ? Either by your GP or Practice Nurse or a DSN at clinic? they are trained to work 1-2-1 with you and would go through what you like n enjoy eating, portion control, carbs/proteins/fats etc.. If you havent you can ask for a referral . In between waiting for the appt you could ask/ring up the W/W, slimming world, dieting clubs and ask them if they are diabetic friendly? Plus it is nice to have an social link to meet other dieters and recieve human company and encouragement. Hope this helps? Anna.x

Sindri

I can say that Slimming World is diabetic friendly as the plan is generous and flexible, and puts you in control of the foods you eat and when you eat them, it is easy to fit in with any personal advice on diet that your diabetes care team gives you. The plan makes it easy to eat regular amounts of starchy carbohydrates at each meal. Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you can decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Sindri said:
I can say that Slimming World is diabetic friendly as the plan is generous and flexible, and puts you in control of the foods you eat and when you eat them, it is easy to fit in with any personal advice on diet that your diabetes care team gives you. The plan makes it easy to eat regular amounts of starchy carbohydrates at each meal. Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you can decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it.

Suggest you pop around to the low carb forum and frighten yourself :lol:

There are people on the site who do not regard "diabetic friendly" and
"easy to eat regular amounts of starchy carbohydrates at each meal. Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you can decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it."
as the same thing.

This is no doubt making the ones amongst us who just can't eat any of this flinch.

Welcome to the family - read as much as you can then come to your own conclusions.
Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers

LGC

Sindri

I had a quick pop along and saw what you meant LGC lol

So far I'm doing good with Slimming World and my blood sugars appear to doing ok, I haven't had a high reading; nothing over 6 as yet at the 2 hours after eating point. There must be something I'm eating that sends me rocketing as the doc said I have a problem and I am diabetic.

As you say, different strokes etc...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Iluvelvis and welcome to the forum, I cant work out what your username means but "That's All Right" your in good company so there is no need to get "All Shook Up". Ask yourself "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" if the answer is yes pull on your "Blue Suede Shoes" grab your "Good Luck Charm" and check out of "Heartbreak Hotel" and leaving your "Wooden Heart" "In the Ghetto" head out to the "Promised Land".

Sorry, couldnt resist.

To answer your question there are local support groups in many areas although I didnt find my local group much help but that could just be me. If you check the Diabetes UK web site here: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/ ... rt_groups/ you may find a local group to you.

Having said that you will find loads of support right here and some pretty good advice too, whatever you are going through someone here will have been there done that and bought the proverbial t-shirt so any questions just ask.

Anyway a "A Little Less Conversation" from me just now. :D