anti depressant

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
The diabetic doc has today prescribed me tripsomething an anti-depressant how will this help

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
is it amitryptyline??

lizc

amitriptylline is one of the "old fashioned" tri-cyclic anti-depressants but can be very useful in treating neuropathic pain especially at night.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
it is well known as an older anti depressant(tricyclics) i was on it a lot of yrs ago for depression but it is well known for working with many other conditions, pain being one of them,
my mum was recently on them for shingles pain and it really helped so good luck :D :D

FordPrefect

I was tried on them but I had a bad reaction had really bad reaction to it. Bad titinnus and I became over sensitive to sounds couldnt be in the office at work cause of the noise. Also and I know this is very common found it impossible to get up in the morning.

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
WOW :shock: never a real upside to this diabetes stuff always a catch

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ham,
a small dose shouldnt affect you too much side effect wise so try not to worry, heres hoping it gets rid of your pain :D

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
after 9 weeks of this I'd try pretty much anything except more needles

FordPrefect

totsy said:
ham,
a small dose shouldnt affect you too much side effect wise so try not to worry, heres hoping it gets rid of your pain :D

Hehe dont bet on it I was on a small dose pretty much the smallest clinical dose when I had my side effects, and I know of a few other people on them who reported the same problems with waking up in the morning whilst on them.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
old type anti depressants can cause tiredness especially at first hence why you usually take them at bed time and i think ham would be glad to be drowsy on a morning if it helped his pain :D
you werent on thyroxine by any chance aswell were you as they do not mix in many people

loneranger

Amitryptyline, this is used for neruopathy also? My dr didn't tell me that. He told me i could take it for my moods and sleep disorder at night. I have over sensitive hearing, but now it's quite alot more sensitive. The hospital consultant told me i could take up to 15 mg (3 tablets). Plus what use is it for my behaviour if it is only taken at night? Its in the daytime i usually have to be careful of any interaction with other people. Maybe i should stop taking it. One, or three, lol, less pills to take. :)

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
Well 7 days in no side affects or any affects back on monday again this sucks can't wait for next year

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ham,
sorry to hear its not working yet, maybe your gp will up it on monday?
let us know how u get on

JackieA

HI
I dont want to put a dampner on things, as everyone is different when taking medication.

My husband was put on Amitriptylline as a painkiller and he totally went off sex :cry: , it supressed his drive, and even after stopping taking the pills after 3 months of being on them, his sex drive hasn`t come back :cry: . So it is something to enquire about. I know for a fact that there are a lot of antidepressants that have this effect :(

Jackie

Giblet

I have been on 20mg Amytriptylene for about six weeks and its done wonders for my sciatic / neuropathic pain. Still have trouble getting going in the morning, but It's a small price to pay. :D