Anti GAD Antibodies - high levels

Karib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I've read a GAD positive test is positive, the numbers don't mean anything. I've had 3 GAD tests, first one 519, 2nd around 80 and the 3rd over 100. I have relatively normal blood sugars (a bit of insulin resistance). Neither past or current endo's can tell if I have/will develop LADA. GP says if I was going to get it I would have it by now. Consensus on this forum is that I have a very slow developing LADA in long honeymoon period. C peptide just below middle of range. So I am keeping an eye on my sugars so if anything happens I can catch it early :)
GAD antibodies at 3200, I think that might be a cause for concern. I am reaching out to see if someone else had seen numbers like this. Yes, I am type 1, however, this number tells me something else might be going on. Just looking for someone who might have the same situation, that's all.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
GAD antibodies at 3200, I think that might be a cause for concern. I am reaching out to see if someone else had seen numbers like this. Yes, I am type 1, however, this number tells me something else might be going on. Just looking for someone who might have the same situation, that's all.
I really don't think it's a cause for concern. If you are worried about other autoimmune diseases (and they do come in clusters) then your endo can test for other related diseases (thyroid, Addisons, Celiac,) but these diseases all have different antibodies. And just having the antibodies doesn't mean you have the disease unless you have symptoms. I have Addisons and Hashimoto's but also have the GAD antibodies but do not have diabetes. Maybe one day I will, maybe I won't. The only other disease linked to GAD antibodies is Stiff Person Syndrome and it would be highly unlikely that you would have that as well as Type 1! :)