Anxiety following diagnosis

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, nearly 6 weeks in I thought I was doing great. I had a plan. My blood pressure is much better on medication, and the diet and exercise I'm doing have had a huge impact on my blood glucose numbers. I had a bit of a cold at the end of last week (germy kids at Nursery love to share) - and that had pushed my post meal figures up a bit, but nothing too bad.

Then over the weekend my tummy started acting up a bit. I thought it was probably the metformin, though I'd been ok up to that point. Last night I was quite unwell and I ended up phoning in work sick. My mum pushed me to go to the GP's, and I saw a lovely GP who I've not seen before. She was very impressed with the weight I've lost and the way I've improved my glucose numbers so far - and was super encouraging to keep going with it. She thought the stomach problems might be the metformin, but when I burst into tears all over her she decided that I had anxiety - over the shock of the twin diagnosis, coupled with stress over my autistic son starting his GCSEs this week - and that, that was making any effect from the metformin worse.

I have to admit, she's right. I am such a controller and a fixer. Which has it's plus side, as I am determined to be on top of the diabetes. But admitting I'm not invincible is really hard. She's signed me off work for a week - told me to put myself first - do lots of walking as that does clear my mind - and see how it goes. If anxiety and/or tummy issues continue, then go back next Monday and we'll try something else. This is a big thing for me being off work. I broke my elbow 3 years ago, and took a grand total of 8 days off for that. So, lets see how it goes.

paula121s

So, nearly 6 weeks in I thought I was doing great. I had a plan. My blood pressure is much better on medication, and the diet and exercise I'm doing have had a huge impact on my blood glucose numbers. I had a bit of a cold at the end of last week (germy kids at Nursery love to share) - and that had pushed my post meal figures up a bit, but nothing too bad.

Then over the weekend my tummy started acting up a bit. I thought it was probably the metformin, though I'd been ok up to that point. Last night I was quite unwell and I ended up phoning in work sick. My mum pushed me to go to the GP's, and I saw a lovely GP who I've not seen before. She was very impressed with the weight I've lost and the way I've improved my glucose numbers so far - and was super encouraging to keep going with it. She thought the stomach problems might be the metformin, but when I burst into tears all over her she decided that I had anxiety - over the shock of the twin diagnosis, coupled with stress over my autistic son starting his GCSEs this week - and that, that was making any effect from the metformin worse.

I have to admit, she's right. I am such a controller and a fixer. Which has it's plus side, as I am determined to be on top of the diabetes. But admitting I'm not invincible is really hard. She's signed me off work for a week - told me to put myself first - do lots of walking as that does clear my mind - and see how it goes. If anxiety and/or tummy issues continue, then go back next Monday and we'll try something else. This is a big thing for me being off work. I broke my elbow 3 years ago, and took a grand total of 8 days off for that. So, lets see how it goes.

Hi, I went into denial when I was diagnosed last year. I did nothing and ended up making my bg worse. It sounds like, although it has only been 6 weeks your doing great. It is a shock and a big thing. Especially if you have other health issues too. Take this week to relax a bit. You are not superhuman, so give yourself a break, it sounds like you need it. Be good to yourself. I hope your feeling better soon.

Reactions: dbr10