Anxious about reducing sugars...

Mootie

hi all, I need some advice to stop the progression, (if not already) diabetes.

I’m 45; 120kg (was 137) and trying to lose weight to no avail. I have cut all carbs and sugars, and exercise 4-5 times a week with 30-45 minute walk. I, seeing a nutrituonaist, but can’t get my sugar down.

First thing in the morning my sugar ranges around 6.3 and my nutrituoist says my weight won’t come down if I don’t get my sugar down. During the day it sits around mid 5s. My blood test result was 6 and hba1c test was in the normal range. Now the doctor wants me to do a GTT test. I’ve been trying hard four around 2 months to lose, but only come down 4 kg. How can I stop this freight train Turning to diabetes?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask what was your HbA1c result was?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those BS figures imply you aren't diabetic as they are very good? You shouldn't need a GTT if you have an HBa1C result unless BS is behaving very strangely and your appear to be good. What sort of diet do you have for interest?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have cut all carbs and sugars

You aren't recommended to do a GTT while on a low carb diet as a low carb diet causes physiological insulin resistance and the sudden shock of carbs in GTT won't be very efficiently processed by an out of practice body. So a low carber is likely to get a false positive from a GTT unless they have a week or so of normal carb diet before the test.

my nutrituoist says my weight won’t come down if I don’t get my sugar down.

I'm not sure where the nutritionist is getting this from. Your blood sugars aren't high, they are non diabetic. For diabetics trying to loose weight the advice is to try to keep blood sugars in range. Your blood sugars are perfectly in range.

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the primary goal of carb restriction and lower Blood sugars weight loss? Or is there a suspiscion that you might be prediabetic?
There are many factors that can affect / stimulate weight loss - many people report that going v low carb stimulates “easy”weight loss, others don't seem to react in the same way
For myself, a period of “easy” weight loss (61/2 stone in 6 months without a focus on calories ) was achieved after a long period of weight problems and occurred many years prior to a diabetes diagnosis. For me the game changer was establishing and dealing with food intolerance issues.
If the goal is significant weight loss then It might be worth discussing with your nutritionist why she is focused on carbs and blood sugars and googling food intolerances

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not sure. She just said normal

It would be useful to you in the future to get a printout of all your test results. As other members have said, your readings look good and the fact that you have been told that your HbA1c is within normal range begs the question as to why you have been told to lower your blood glucose. My advice would be to push for a diagnosis and to ask why you should be lowering your bg. Many people who carry extra weight prove to be non diabetic but it is crucial to rule diabetes out as a possible cause for your extra weight. I hope you can get things sorted out so that you start working towards your goal. While you are here why not take a look at the weight loss sections of the forum, they include low calorie diets, LCHF (low carb high fat) diet, the Newcastle diet and the Blood Sugar diet. Good luck, lass.

Edited to insert missing word.

Reactions: Prem51 and Mootie

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As @Boo1979 said, food intolerances can play a big role in weight gain/ loss.

The foods that make me gain/nontoxic lose are all grains and starches ( carbs in general) all dairy, too many nuts and too much food in general.

I am not coeliac but I am very grain intolerant. All grains. Dairy as well. Saturated fats make me gain. Mediterranean fats make me lose. AvocDo, olive oil, olives, mayo.

Jo123

Your sugars sound perfectly normal. I assume you must be eating plenty of fat and protein if you are not eating carbs.
If you want to lose weight I would actually eat a few carbs a day in the form of green veg and salads, also I would drink some unsweetened soya milk, these things full me up rather than filling up purely on highly calorific fat.
Or perhaps buy the blood sugar diet book by Michael mosley, lots of people have had success with that.
Both of these methods involve cutting down calories as well as carbs.

Good luck with this.

Reactions: Prem51 and Mootie

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not sure. She just said normal

Never accept that ... not that you were to know ... but it's your right to be given that info. The walking regime sounds fine as does the eating routine so keep it up. You should be seeing results so lengthen the walks by 15 mins

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @Boo1979 said, food intolerances can play a big role in weight gain/ loss.

The foods that make me gain/nontoxic lose are all grains and starches ( carbs in general) all dairy, too many nuts and too much food in general.

I am not coeliac but I am very grain intolerant. All grains. Dairy as well. Saturated fats make me gain. Mediterranean fats make me lose. AvocDo, olive oil, olives, mayo.
Mine came out as milk, eggs, tomatoes ( and other members of the nightshade food family which includes spuds) , carrots, corn white ( but not wholemeal) flour, sugar and beef. At the time there was stuff in the literature I read re food intolerances about a possible link between food intolerance and later development of diabetes. When I asked about this when I was diagnosed with diabetes some 15 years later, the consultant basically told me not to be stupid

EDIT - missed white (but not brown) rice off the list of things I reacted to

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine came out as milk, eggs, tomatoes ( and other members of the nightshade food family which includes spuds) , carrots, corn white ( but not wholemeal) flour, sugar and beef. At the time there was stuff in the literature I read re food intolerances about a possible link between food intolerance and later development of diabetes. When I asked about this when I was diagnosed with diabetes some 15 years later, the consultant basically told me not to be stupid

EDIT - missed white (but not brown) rice off the list of things I reacted to
I have quite a few myself. Not necessarily with digestion but causing other issues like achy, sadness, tears, jitters.
I’ve eliminated all grains, starches and sugars but I did that YEARS ago, well before Diabetes. Along the way all nightshades, eggs and nuts have come and gone. A small piece of cheese occasionally. Reintroduced it recentently and the achy came back. I just quit coffee and that was a big one. Corn anything causes loads of issues. Not sure about fresh corn but corn flour/starch and I’m in pain.

So my diet has basically been reduced to proteins avocado and some veggies, mayo, olive oil, olives and a couple nuts. I got so tired of eliminating things and trying new things only to toss out, I just stick with what I know works

I never did the testing as I have heard and read they are not accurate. And my body has no problem telling me.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have quite a few myself. Not necessarily with digestion but causing other issues like achy, sadness, tears, jitters.
I’ve eliminated all grains, starches and sugars but I did that YEARS ago, well before Diabetes. Along the way all nightshades, eggs and nuts have come and gone. A small piece of cheese occasionally. Reintroduced it recentently and the achy came back. I just quit coffee and that was a big one. Corn anything causes loads of issues. Not sure about fresh corn but corn flour/starch and I’m in pain.

So my diet has basically been reduced to proteins avocado and some veggies, mayo, olive oil, olives and a couple nuts. I got so tired of eliminating things and trying new things only to toss out, I just stick with what I know works

I never did the testing as I have heard and read they are not accurate. And my body has no problem telling me.
The testing outcomes were quite strange - you had to measure your belly, drawing a line where the tape measure was to make sure when you remeasured it was in the same place, eat the food then remeasure at intervals while noting any symptoms Tomatoes were the most bizzare - 2 baby plum tomatoes blew my belly up 3 inches, resulted in a rash all over my chest, had me wheezing like an asthmatic and yawning my head off for several hours, most of the ones I reacted to had similar results in terms of bloating and yawning but without the rash. Some other things were more “ traditional” in their effect - black tea and black coffee were both followed in very short order by projectile vomiting!
I had to take medication (Nalcrom) and completely exclude several foods / food families for a few years after which I was told I could eat the foods but only at low levels - a few ( mostly eggs and dairy ) tho have come back into use over the years rather more often than I think is good for me

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
hi all, I need some advice to stop the progression, (if not already) diabetes.

I’m 45; 120kg (was 137) and trying to lose weight to no avail. I have cut all carbs and sugars, and exercise 4-5 times a week with 30-45 minute walk. I, seeing a nutrituonaist, but can’t get my sugar down.

First thing in the morning my sugar ranges around 6.3 and my nutrituoist says my weight won’t come down if I don’t get my sugar down. During the day it sits around mid 5s. My blood test result was 6 and hba1c test was in the normal range. Now the doctor wants me to do a GTT test. I’ve been trying hard four around 2 months to lose, but only come down 4 kg. How can I stop this freight train Turning to diabetes?
Same weight as me.
I'm overweight... and diabetic.

Concentrate of figuring out how to lose weight.
Are you on any medication, for anything?

Experiment with your foods to see if you can get a concoction that brings your weight down.
Continue with less sugar and less carbs.

I bet your team are seeing the weigh issue, mainly. .

I experimented.
I'd worked out that flour and sugar, combined in any food caused me weight gain years ago. So i loved the concept of low carb when suggested here.

Ps. Get your condition confirmed, please.

Reactions: tina_marie

Mootie

So this morning I wake and it’s 6.7!!! I had a blood test yesterday ,omring and it was 6.8! Had a wretched panic attack and they checked me out. My GP says stop worrying but gee it’s hard. I’m down to 118 kg, and steady but can I reverse this to not be diabetic?

Mootie

Those BS figures imply you aren't diabetic as they are very good? You shouldn't need a GTT if you have an HBa1C result unless BS is behaving very strangely and your appear to be good. What sort of diet do you have for interest?
Mostly isowhey, checking, eggs, Vegies

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But you are not diabetic so there is no reversing to do - if you panic that puts up your blood glucose, your weight is dropping and your daytime blood glucose is normal - your health care people seem to be trying to worry you about your weight - I have always found doctors and nurses to be very unpleasant about weight - I was told I was grossly overweight when I had a 24 inch waist.