Any advice welcome sorry its an essay!!

kailey

Hiya im 30wks pregnant was diagnosed at 28wks with GD the result came back at 7.9 after the 2hr wait everyone keeps telling me its just over and i should of been re-tested but havent been. I feel so confused and stressed by it all, i was told on a monday and didnt have any appointments with anyone until 10days later since then ive seen a diabetic assistant, dietican, consultant at the midwives, diabetic consultant at the hospital and they all say different things!
I was given a machine by the diabetic assistant last week shown how to use it and given a letter for my GP to prescibe more needles, strips and a sharps box. So i took it to the GP and they give me a whole new machine as they dont prescibe the bits for the machine given to me, I was told the instructions were in the box not shown what to do and its different from the one i was originally given. So for about a week i was using the original machine and getting ok readings the consultant said they all looked good apart from in the mornings after breakfast. Then i moved onto this new machine and my readings all seem high and im not sure if im doing things wrong with the machine as it has different settings or if that would even make a difference as i am alot stricter with my diet (well i think i am) now ive been told what i should eat compared to the 1st week of being told i had GD and my readings seem worse!
Im so confused about eating the dietican gave me a list of foods to eat they had cereals on there like fruit and fibre, muller yogarts, what portions of fruit are good, she said a healthy meal is jacket with baked beans or beans on toast. The next day i have an appointment with an actual diabetic consultant who said everything the dietican said was wrong so i came out feeling really deflated and confused as he said i should cut down on potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, fruit and obvious sugary foods which i did anyway. So im like what can i eat then?! Im always hungry and i get so frustrated.
I had weetabix for breakfast, a brown bread sandwich with cheese, cucumber and baby spinach and 1 strawberry for lunch, chicken salad and jacket potato for dinner and then a low fat yogart I thought this was all healthy but my readings are still coming up high and in the evenings i just feel starving and scared to eat!
So i just wondered if anyone had any advice or had any similar experiences as i could really do with just some help.
Thanks for reading x

Reactions: 3 people

Debsy22

I got diagnosed with gd mid march and found it realy hard to get used to what I could eat. I have to take quite a lot of insulin with each meal and at bed time but typically in a day I eat..... 1 small slice of seeded bread toasted with scrambled egg for breakfast, snack will be a seeded ryvita or chunk I cheese or a few pinches of pumpkin seeds. Lunch- salad slice of quiche and slice of seeded bread (as was told I needed to carb my lunch up a bit) dinner will be Anythibg from shepherds pie (not a huge amount of mash obviously) spag Bol (not a lot of pasta) chicken stir fry. Chicken wraps and salad etc. I tried muesli and porridge for breakfast and they sent my bg realy high!!! I hope you manage to find some food to suit you and try not to let it get you down. Good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaine77

I had GD too and it went away and came back but from what you have said all I can say is that in my experience jacket potato and beans nd toast are all terrible for most people's BS and would push mine up massive! Beans are really carby and sugary though u wudnt think it and the only potatoes I can deal with are small new potatoes but some people can't even manage them. I would make sure the bread u are eating is granary or wholegrain and not wholemeal as wholemeal is a trick and is just as bad as white bread for BS. When I was pregnant (and even now) I go for low(ish) carb and high fat diet which works well. I eat loads of cheese, meat, butter, veg, limit the fruit, and I'm even ok with the odd biscuit or packet or crisps aslong as I eat nothing else with them. My morning levels are always too high so i tend to have cheerios or weetabix (both low GI) and this usually brings me down to about 5.6 mmol 2hours later. The key is to keep testing 2 hours after eating to check what foods keep u in a good range and which don't :) hope this helps.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.