Any coffee (and walnut) cake recipes?

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knew any good, fairly healthy coffee or coffee and walnut/blueberry cake recipies ? And the nutritional values for it ? :D
Thank you :mrgreen:

WhitbyJet

Re: Any coffee (and walnut) cake recipies?

I often bake for local fetes coffee mornings etc.
I am following a low carb diet so am only watching flour and sugar. Butter is fine with me.
So to make a coffee walnut cake I use a normal recipe but replace the flour with hearthealthy almond
flour and replace the sugar usually with Zsweet which I find gives the best results in baking and making chocolates.
Same goes for the frosting/icing. Use a butter cream and replace the sugar or make a icing based omw cream cheese or mascarpone.
All the best

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hiya cr741!

CR741 said:
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knew any good, fairly healthy coffee or coffee and walnut/blueberry cake recipies ? And the nutritional values for it ? :D
Thank you :mrgreen:

Here's a muffin recipe you might like:

2 Tbs instant coffee granules
2 Tbs boiling water
100g chopped walnuts
280g almond flour (ground almonds)
1 Tbs baking powder
Pinch of salt
10g Splenda (or adjust to taste or use equivalent different sugar substitute if preferred)
2 medium eggs
200ml buttermilk (or use 200ml double cream with one tsp of lemon juice in for fewer carbs)
60g melted butter

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 200C
Dissolve coffee granules in the boiling water and let cool
In large bowl mix almond flour, baking powder, Splenda, walnuts and salt
In another bowl beat the eggs and then beat in buttermilk (or cream), melted butter and dissolved coffee
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently until just mixed (do not over mix)
Use a teaspoon to spoon into paper muffin cases in a muffin tin
Bake for about 20 minutes
This should make 12 muffins

I haven't worked out the carb content of these yet, but I'll try to find time to do that over the weekend and post it.

Hope these suit you!

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey there!

Just worked out the carb value at between 3.5g and 4g per muffin. The cream and melted butter will make them fairly high in fat, though.

Smidge

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I have some of these in the oven at the moment!

Made them with milk as no buttermilk or cream here, also put them into fairy cake sized cases so there are 18 of them :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen louise!

Hope they turned out well! They freeze really well - I find it's best to store them in the freezer - it means they're kept fresh as they don't keep for long unfrozen - it also stops me pigging out on them :lol: They only take a couple of mminutes on defrost in the microwave when you want one. I really ought to get some fairy cake trays rather than the muffin ones - I'm sure the smaller portion would be better for me!

Smidge

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Considering I didn't have the right ingredients they didn't turn out too bad :)

Might need a slight adjust with the sweetner as I used truvia which is quite heavy in weight compared to splenda so I sprinkled a bit more on but still not quite sweet enough (for me anyway) I have a fan oven & preheated to 200c then once they go in turn down to 180c ready in about 11mins

At least they have helped with the sweet/carb craving its been 6 days since eating anything sweet & i was getting to the point when even the dogs choccy drops were appealing :shock: