Any ladies on Metformin and Cerazette

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ladies, I have taken Cerazette for about 9 years, in which time no periods whatsoever. I started taking metformin 3 months ago after being diagnosed T2, 2 and a bit months on normal and 2 weeks on slow release. In that time I've lost 2 stone and gone LCHF. I've also got a sore throat at the moment and feel a bit under the weather (I work in a school, so some child has given me a cold!). This morning I think I have the start of a period, some spotting and that achy feeling you can get (or at least I did years ago!).

Does metformin interfere with the cerazette, is it the illness/sore throat, something else, should I be concerned? My worst nightmare is having regular periods back!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No clue about the other medication, but metformin is regularly prescribed for women with PCOS to reduce insulin resistance, so not surprised that it may be affecting your cycle.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I take cerazette/cerelle plus 500g regular metformin a day. I can't say I've noticed any interaction. Erratic bleeding is a listed site effect of cerazette. It could be you are run down.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise, I am not on metformin now but was and it didn't restart my periods.

Ali

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very confused, last one lasted all of 1 day, but started up again yesterday :( Was fine until I started taking the Metformin slow release rather than the normal metformin. Perhaps I should switch back?

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My school nurse (also a practice nurse at my GP surgery) reckons it's because I have lost 2 stone. Well in that case I want to put 2 stone back on!!!!

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I'm on both Metformin and Cerazette. I'm type 1 but on 2x500mg metformin to boost my insulin.

I haven't had a period since starting cerazette February 2014 but every 1-2 months I feel really down and fat and bloated. I sometimes have very light spotting/cramps and discolouration. I think it's my body's way of having a period.

Honestly though, your period stopping on Cerazette is only a chance of happening, not guaranteed. When on the pill anything can happen down there at any time!