Any protein shake recommendations?

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I'm trying to up my protein intake at the moment and since I usually am running out the door in the morning there's not much opportunity for a cooked breakfast. Protein shakes sound like a good solution for getting an extra protein hit before work, but given how expensive the powders are I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of brands they like to use?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AlexMagd . Not sure how this concoction will affect your BS levels. It's a breakfast " drink" I occasionally have for a change, but I'm T1 and inject insulin to cover the protein intake.
200 ml milk
2/3 dessert spoons Greek style yogurt
Banana
1/2 dessert spoons peanut butter.
All in a bowl and blend with a hand blender (£10 Morrisons ).
It's cheap and cheerful but can't vouch for how it'll affect your sugars.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've used MP (https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html ) Impact Whey for years - about the cheapest of the "big brands" and the range of flavours is great... today I have Chocolate Coconut but the Chocolate Mint & Chocolate Smooth were great too. I blend it with ice and milk and it comes out like a Mc D's shake. Doesn't raise my BG very much at all and it soon settles again - that'll be from the milk.

*Edit*

I use them as meal replacements sometimes - I tried SlimFast but it's BG rocket fuel for me.

S

Last edited:

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm trying to up my protein intake at the moment and since I usually am running out the door in the morning there's not much opportunity for a cooked breakfast. Protein shakes sound like a good solution for getting an extra protein hit before work, but given how expensive the powders are I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of brands they like to use?

I'm not a real big fan of protein shakes. Most of them contain either sugar or artificial sweeteners, and may also contain vegetable fats. I used to sometimes take one that Aldi sells here (Australia) called "slim and trim", but I will no longer touch it. The first three ingredients listed are "Milk solids, Fructose, Vegetable Fat".

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

You'd probably be better with skipping breakfast altogether...protein shakes (depending on what they are made of) can in some people cause an insulin response which is what you are trying to avoid. Why do you think you aren't having enough protein?