any T1'S 18+ and going on nights out?

BethR

Hiya,
Still havent found anyone my own age with type 1, who regularly goes on nights out drinking ect. Im at university and was diagnosed in nov 2012 so its all still new, and the last time i went out i had my worst hypo so far, which has made me nervous about going out. I would love to talk to someone also dealing with this, so i could see how they manage it, and also how to manage buying sugar free drinks at the bar when its noisy and busy

Thanks,
Beth x

KieranP

Best thing to do Beth is eat food before and/or after you drink. Try not to drink too much as it can cause serious highs and lows.
I know how you feel as I was diagnosed just before I turned 18 and feel like your on your own.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hannah94

hello Beth Im 18 and have been diabetic for 6 years. i regularly go on nights out and drink. the best advice i have is to have a proper meal before going out and i normally have less insulin. however do check your blood when you get in. also keep an emergency card on you aswell.
take care x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

StevenKnott

Hey Beth,

I'm 18, and Ive been diabetic type 1 for 10 years! Im often going clubbing and what not with mates. My top tips are to -

Have a decent meal before you go out.

and to make sure your friends are aware you're diabetic and know what to do in an emergency.

If you want to chat or what not, private message me! :)

imalittlefishy

I've been diabetic since I was 11, I'm 21 now. In terms of nights out, I found that it took me a while to figure out what worked for me, but since I have I haven't had any problems. I make sure I eat something before I head out, if I'm drinking spirits I alternate sugary and non-sugary drinks (i.e. vodka diet coke followed by vodka coke) and I'm famed among my friends for always always insisting on a carby snack on the way home! The same things might not work for you, but if you take it slowly for a few nights out, you should be able to figure out how to keep your figures roughly where they should be. Also, I'd rather be a bit too high than running low, can always get it back down in the morning :)
xx

BethR

Thanks for all the help everyone! Been going out a lot more now and think im getting good at keeping bs from dropping too low while im out! Even found a bar that sells zero sugar cocktails!!
Beth Xx