Any tips for the lowest carb lager or beer?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I normally just drink red wine if I'm drinking, but a bit of variety is good and it's not really practical to drink wine all evening if you're out.

My natural instinct is to avoid beer but it would be great if there were something that didn't send the blood sugars through the roof.

So, aside from all the good advice not to drink at all, what beers do people feel have the lowest impact on blood sugars? And I'm no Campaign for Real Ale person so by beer I mean beer lager anything?

Thanks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dunno about lager - but most white spirits (vodka, gin, etc...) only have a minimal impact on BS. Mixing with soda/slim line tonic/diet coke can help. Can't say for sure if one type of lager is any better or worse than another.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Purchase a hydrometer and a measuring glass - standard items for home brewers.

Purchase a selection of the beers/lagers you prefer or want to test.

Open can/bottle and pour into measuring glass.

Drop in hydrometer.

if its 0 or below the all of the fermentable carbohydrates have been converted to alcohol. If its above 0 the nearer to 0 the better.

Decide if its worth a try.

Drink it anyway - pity to see waste.

Open another bottle or can, pour into measuring glass and drop in hydrometer.

Etc.

Don't shun the CAMRA approach to real beer. There are a some very good cask conditioned lagers (lager being brewed from a bottom fermenting yeast (rather than the British style which is top fermenting) and the beer 'lagerred' or 'stored'.)

There are also any number of light coloured beers, many commercial brews are coloured by adding caramelised sugar, available as cask conditioned or in the bottle. So don't let the colour fool you.

If you can find Schehallion (hill of the fairies) its worth a go. Deuchars, from the Caledonian brewery is worth a go. But there are many others.

Solve the problem by brewing your own. If you can find them 'Brewing Better Beer' and 'Advanced Home Brewing' by Ken Shales are worth a read. That way you can brew using natural ingredients without resorting to 'kits'.

Cheers!

Thirsty

As a general rule, the higher strength lagers such as pils contain less residual sugar than others, (and I don't mean silly stuff like Carlsberg Special Brew.) If you're out on the town, anything light coloured at around 5 to 6 % volume is probably your best bet.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Brewer and Baker - no just good food. Cakes, pastries/tarts and spun sugar are my delight but I have not had any for the past 18 months. And now that there are two diabetics under the one roof its easier all round not to get involved. That said, I made the puff pastry for this evenings pie.

Got into brewing - 6 gallons every 2 weeks in the 60's - to prove to a friend that you could brew without using the hellish tasting kits using the same process as 'natural' brewers on a smaller scale; ie a 5 gallon Burko boiler with malted barley and other cereal goods.

Baking bread arose after the Jewish bakery I mentioned closed. Best advice from a baker was to weigh and measure and be patient. Best ever experience of bread on a big scale was my time as a Business Analyst who, for his sins, was assigned a job looking at aspects of Scottish Prisons. Prison Governors like particularly to show off how well the inmates are being fed on a tight budget, and the quality of bread making in the Bar L was something to see and to taste. Brilliant 'batch' loaves - plain rather than pan as we would say on this side of the border - and morning rolls.

mikecarter

Holsten Pils does the trick for also Marstons produce a a low carb bottled beer called, believe it or not "Low C"

Cheers!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks - some good stuff here.

I might just test a bunch of beers using a blood glucose monitor; and use some sort of control drink, like soya milk to see what an ideal reading would be.

Possibly a blood glucose monitor would be too sensitive though? What do you think?

Anyway, might be an enjoyable home experiment for the weekend; "No, no darling, I'm not just sitting here drinking, this is a science project for diabetes.co.uk ; now pass me the Pils."

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Dillinger,
I think it's really brave and unselfish of you to volunteer for this task. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. :wink:

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
Dillinger,
I think it's really brave and unselfish of you to volunteer for this task. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. :wink:

<G>

My research, pursued at alarming cost, suggests that I can drink almost anything as long as I limit it to a maximum of a half and use it to wash down food. That's the point for *my* pancreas where the carbs start to outrun the alcohol in their effect on my BG. YMMV of course.