Anybody else experience this?

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0582.JPG
i have been using a libre for the past fortnight and started to realise something unusual. It is my understanding that the principle of rapid insulin (Novorapid) is to create a short spike and then over a four hour period slowly reduce the glucose levels.

What I have started to see using the libre, is that at breakfast I spike (as per norm) but then the gradual decline seems to run out of steam quickly resulting in a long drawn out process of reducing levels before the next meal. I carb count as accurately as I can, and I would appreciate people's thoughts or if it's me potentially seeing something that does not really exist. I have done recent basal testing and do not believe this is a factor as I tend to drop a little throughout the day even when fasting.

Thought I would ask for a consensus before asking to see a DSN/ GPas I hate wasting their time when I can try and sort things out myself. After all Diabetes is a condition that you need to self manage (with professional help when required).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When are you bolusing @Coopsman1? Most of us find that with Novorapid, we need to take it 30-45 mins ahead of eating to avoid the meal spikes. Novorapid lasts about 4-5 hours in the system, and the graph is pretty typical of how it works.

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject the rapid immediately before eating as this is what I was advised. I shall try a bit before and see how that goes.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not really sure I follow what it is you are asking? What exactly do you plan on asking your GP/DSN?

Novorapid doesn't "create a short spike". The spike in blood sugar is created by whatever you're consuming.

Novorapid has a rough duration of action as follows:
  • 15-30 minutes after injecting, it commences working
  • 2hours after injecting - the action is peaking
  • Up to 6 hours after injecting - it can still be working
Carbs can be digested at different rates raising blood at different speeds depending on what it is you are eating - something with complex carbs or something fatty might raise blood sugar a couple of hours (or more) after eating, a simple carb will raise blood sugar pretty instantly.

What is it you are eating for breakfast?

When do you bolus and when do you eat? You might need to consider pre blousing so the insulin is acting when you eat and you can avoid/reduce the spike.

Reactions: DiabeticDustbin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I inject the rapid immediately before eating as this is what I was advised. I shall try a bit before and see how that goes.

That might well be causing the spike then. Try moving your bolus gradually 5 mins at a time. You'll probably find you need to bolus at different times for different meals (ie breakfast, etc)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

The following article (from the author of the book Think Like a Pancreas) explains about pre-bolusing to reduce postprandial spikes:

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

On a morning I inject 20-25 mins before eating, some find they have to bolus further in advance where as others don't, the Libre will keep you right @Coopsman1

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All of your info is spot on as I took my morning bolus 10 mins before eating breakfast and the spike has reduced. I will try little adjustments at a time and this morning it has helped with not such a high reading 2hrs after.

Reactions: DiabeticDustbin