Anyone struggled to get a pump on NHS?

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've been to see a DSN at my local hospital about getting a pump a couple of times and going back in three weeks. I've managed to get my HbA1c down to 44 due to LCHF. She said that the consultant would want me to try tresiba before even considering a pump, as my morning BG is slightly higher than I would like, but still good. I was referred initially as I work shifts and explained that a pump would make things easier for me, but the fact my control is good means that I wouldn't really qualify. DSN said to make a note of the situations where a pump would be needed work-wise, so if I get a consultant appointment I can explain it. Anyone had trouble getting on a pump or advice on how I can convince the consultant to put me on one? No way I can afford one privately.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't have to fit the NICE criteria and your consultant can still apply for funding under the ABCD recommendations, if you read the link that @catapillar has provided you would come under the Specific quality of life issues/ Shift work or frequent travel across time zones.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I was going to struggle, too, as my HbA1c was 45, but pushed the 'excessive number of injections for optimised control' angle in the ABCD guidelines. In the end I was approved on the basis of hypo reduction, but I did go through the list on INPUT's website and make notes on how I could fit criteria and bullet pointed them to refer to in the appointment.

It may also have helped that I turned up with a mass of colour printouts showing bg levels for the previous three months from my CGM (showing commitment to good control), and already had a good idea of which pump I was after.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought I was going to struggle, too, as my HbA1c was 45, but pushed the 'excessive number of injections for optimised control' angle in the ABCD guidelines. In the end I was approved on the basis of hypo reduction, but I did go through the list on INPUT's website and make notes on how I could fit criteria and bullet pointed them to refer to in the appointment.

It may also have helped that I turned up with a mass of colour printouts showing bg levels for the previous three months from my CGM (showing commitment to good control), and already had a good idea of which pump I was after.
I took a very similar approach, pointing out I was doing up to 8 injections a day to maintain control, and having to do a 5am injection to manage "Dawn Phenomenon". When you turn up with the data, it also shows that you have tried other approaches and are still not getting the results you want, and your carb counting abilities, so it also gives you a tick in those boxes.

There's definitely plenty of ways to skin this cat!

Reactions: himtoo

Alexm5079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently struggling. Asked for it 4 times! Been told they will probably change my insulin before giving me a pump :(

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there
My HbA1c did not qualify me within NICE guidelines -- but my consultant put me forward on the basis of reduced hypo awareness and many injections per day to keep levels down.

please do actually contact the lovely people at INPUT -- they are T1D's on pumps and are very helpful

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, some great advice. DSN just called me and I have an appointment with a consultant on 3 May to discuss pump. Plenty of time to experiment with the new tresiba basal dose and I will definitely have plenty of libre graphs.