Anyone using Canagliflozin/Invokana

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

Had serious problems with taking metformin, gliclazide etc and now been to see consultant who has changed my life dramatically with other tablets. Now taking slow release Glucophage and Canagliflozin and feel so much better. I'd like to hear your thoughts/views if anyone out there is also taking Canagliflozin.

Crystal Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I was on Canagliflozin for 1 week but had to stop due to extreme high levels of thrush and it made me feel really ill. Worst of all it put my bg levels above 30+ and they didn't come down. You seem to be having good progress so stick with it.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry that it didn't work for you. My levels haven't reached those heights I'm glad to say but I have just recently developed thrush. I thought that more people would have been on these new tablets then just today I found an item on Invokana on here. That is the other name for this medication so I'm not alone.

Crystal Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry that it didn't work for you. My levels haven't reached those heights I'm glad to say but I have just recently developed thrush. I thought that more people would have been on these new tablets then just today I found an item on Invokana on here. That is the other name for this medication so I'm not alone.

Don't keep suffering with the thrush the doctors can give you another tablet called fluconazole which will stop it over 24 hours and you can have one of those tablets once a week - it works well.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. Will give it a go when I actually get to see my lady Dr. Her appointments are like gold dust. Will report back after I have seen her but don't hold your breath. By the way, I tried to buy some Canestan over the counter but was told they don't give it to people under 16 or over 60.

Crystal Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Will give it a go when I actually get to see my lady Dr. Her appointments are like gold dust. Will report back after I have seen her but don't hold your breath. By the way, I tried to buy some Canestan over the counter but was told they don't give it to people under 16 or over 60.
That is the chemists restrictions not the NHS. I am 60 and get it quite easily.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry for delay in reply. Managed to see the Dr a few days ago. Gave her all the information you kindly told me. Was prescribed Itraconazole 100mg capsules. They are similar to those you mentioned. Pleased to say situation is much improved. Take care and thank you.

BEVGT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on canagliflozin for three weeks but getting irregular heart beats , back , pain stomach upset and really tired so i have stopped for a few days and try again .Had not noticed any drop in blood sugar in fact i thought it was a bit higher.

Fazza66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
METFORMIN
Hi there,

Had serious problems with taking metformin, gliclazide etc and now been to see consultant who has changed my life dramatically with other tablets. Now taking slow release Glucophage and Canagliflozin and feel so much better. I'd like to hear your thoughts/views if anyone out there is also taking Canagliflozin.

Fazza66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
METFORMIN
I haven't been able to swallow metformin for 3 years, so now being offered canagliflozin. Hoping I don't get side effects as already on insulin and hate having too many meds already.