Applying for a provisional license

SamanthaLucie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello
Just looking for a little advice. I have had type 1 diabetes for roughly 39 years, i was diagnosed when i was 14 months old. My diabetes control has always been pretty good with the exception of a few bad episodes and experiences along the way. I have also had quite a lot of laser surgery on my eyes, the last time being 3 years ago. Since then i have not needed any more. What i wanted to get advice on is that i can't drive but decided it's got to the stage where i really need my own car & independence but considering that i'm 41, have had diabetes for 39 years and have had a fair amount of laser and need glasses for my short sightedness is it really worth my time trying to apply for my provisional license? To be honest i don't think i stand a hope in hell of getting it. Wish i took lessons when i was so much younger. think i've left it far to late now.

SamanthaLucie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the link @azure

I guess I've got nothing to lose by trying, it'll just be a huge bonus if I'm issued with a license. I'm just really apprehensive about applying for one and going through the afield vision test at Specsavers. Fingers crossed though.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the link @azure

I guess I've got nothing to lose by trying, it'll just be a huge bonus if I'm issued with a license. I'm just really apprehensive about applying for one and going through the afield vision test at Specsavers. Fingers crossed though.

As you've had laser surgery the DVLA will likely request that you have a field vision test to check your peripheral vision @SamanthaLucie, I've had laser treatment in the past and currently hold a 3 year licence so don't be too apprehensive or put off from applying for a licence.

Hope your successful and good luck with the driving lessons and test.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @SamanthaLucie
i think it's great you are going to try for your licence --
i just had my 3 year provisional approved again last week -- and I have had laser in both eyes and injections in 1 eye.

my sight is still excellent with my distance glasses on for driving