Are hypos possible for a T2 diabetic on no medication?

Rowan.Element

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone, I am a T2 diabetic, diagnosed 14 years ago, I am not on any medication (haven't been on anything for about a year) and have been low carbing over the last few months to control blood sugars.
It has been a bit of a struggle, I kept starting and stopping, getting confused with all the conflicting info I was reading, but finally settled on a moderate low carb, moderate protein, healthy fat.
I have been very excited with the lower blood sugar readings I am getting with self testing, and yesterday after a hydrotherapy session, I tested myself when I got home about half hour later and my reading was 4.7!
That's the first time I have been below 5, and I was so excited I put a post on Facebook, and got lots of positive comments, but quite a few negative ones about hypos...I did not think it was possible to have a hypo if not on insulin, but apparently it is?
I would think however it would be very unlikely?
I am still getting readings in the mornings of 6 - 8...but that's still an improvement from my pre-low carb diet.
I would appreciate hearing about anybody else's experience in this area...thanks :)

Reactions: himtoo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Highly unlikely.. I have been sub-4 a few times but only on the third day of an extended fast and felt fine mostly (the first time a little bit off). My body doesn't stay under 4 for more than a few hours though so although"technically" a non medication induced hypo but nothing to worry about in my view.
There are quite a few people who populate facebook pages who think they know it all ... but probably know little..

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Rowan.Element
welcome to the forum :)

2 things to consider

4.7 is NOT a hypo( trust me - -I been doing this a long long time ) :)
your BG monitor is not 100% accurate -- so your 4.7 reading could be between 4.0 to 5.2 as an actual reading
( monitors have an accuracy range built in )

your 4.7 is a fabulous result and something to be pleased with.

try not to worry !!!!!!!!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone, I am a T2 diabetic, diagnosed 14 years ago, I am not on any medication (haven't been on anything for about a year) and have been low carbing over the last few months to control blood sugars.
It has been a bit of a struggle, I kept starting and stopping, getting confused with all the conflicting info I was reading, but finally settled on a moderate low carb, moderate protein, healthy fat.
I have been very excited with the lower blood sugar readings I am getting with self testing, and yesterday after a hydrotherapy session, I tested myself when I got home about half hour later and my reading was 4.7!
That's the first time I have been below 5, and I was so excited I put a post on Facebook, and got lots of positive comments, but quite a few negative ones about hypos...I did not think it was possible to have a hypo if not on insulin, but apparently it is?
I would think however it would be very unlikely?
I am still getting readings in the mornings of 6 - 8...but that's still an improvement from my pre-low carb diet.
I would appreciate hearing about anybody else's experience in this area...thanks :)
Sorry just saw this was your first post so hello and welcome. You obviously know quite a bit about low carbing so hope you find the forum informative and helpful.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, if you can keep your BG at non-diabetic levels and are not using meds, your risk of hypos is no greater than it would be for someone who does not have diabetes at all.

Non-diabetics *can* have hypos:
  • One version is "reactive hypoglycemia" and there is a sub-forum here that is devoted to it. For non-diabetics, it is not a very common event. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia.
  • Hypoglycemia can also affect non-diabetics who over-exercise. Google "exercise hypoglycemia."
Edited to add: I'm new to this stuff, so I hope I got this right!

Last edited:

Rowan.Element

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Highly unlikely.. I have been sub-4 a few times but only on the third day of an extended fast and felt fine mostly (the first time a little bit off). My body doesn't stay under 4 for more than a few hours though so although"technically" a non medication induced hypo but nothing to worry about in my view.
There are quite a few people who populate facebook pages who think they know it all ... but probably know little..
Thank you, that's reassuring...and you're right about facebook people!

Rowan.Element

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi there @Rowan.Element
welcome to the forum :)

2 things to consider

4.7 is NOT a hypo( trust me - -I been doing this a long long time ) :)
your BG monitor is not 100% accurate -- so your 4.7 reading could be between 4.0 to 5.2 as an actual reading
( monitors have an accuracy range built in )

your 4.7 is a fabulous result and something to be pleased with.

try not to worry !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you :)

Reactions: himtoo

Rowan.Element

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I understand it, if you can keep your BG at non-diabetic levels and are not using meds, your risk of hypos is no greater than it would be for someone who does not have diabetes at all.

Non-diabetics *can* have hypos:
  • One version is "reactive hypoglycemia" and there is a sub-forum here that is devoted to it. For non-diabetics, it is not a very common event. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia.
  • Hypoglycemia can also affect non-diabetics who over-exercise. Google "exercise hypoglycemia."
That makes sense, thanks

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally as we improve our insulin sensitivity and perhaps even restart some of our beta cells due to the liver/pancreatic fat loss, we may be more prone to reactive hypoglycemia. That is typically triggered by a carbs heavy meal, which causes a large and delayed insulin response. This resulting rapid drop in glucose level would trigger hypo like symptoms, intense hunger, shakes, profuse sweating etc.

You may have seen the following chart that captures the essence of it. It is a common condition that is often ignored or dismissed...

21617677_1480400812054365_6397910844440253685_n.jpg

Reactions: caroline_92

Rowan.Element

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Generally as we improve our insulin sensitivity and perhaps even restart some of our beta cells due to the liver/pancreatic fat loss, we may be more prone to reactive hypoglycemia. That is typically triggered by a carbs heavy meal, which causes a large and delayed insulin response. This resulting rapid drop in glucose level would trigger hypo like symptoms, intense hunger, shakes, profuse sweating etc.

You may have seen the following chart that captures the essence of it. It is a common condition that is often ignored or dismissed...

21617677_1480400812054365_6397910844440253685_n.jpg
This is very interesting, it would not apply to yesterday's low reading (which I should have said in my original post, was early evening after a perfect low carb day of eating) ...but on other days, in the evening when I've had a break-out and binged on carbs, this would explain why I have a low reading the following morning!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is very interesting, it would not apply to yesterday's low reading (which I should have said in my original post, was early evening after a perfect low carb day of eating) ...but on other days, in the evening when I've had a break-out and binged on carbs, this would explain why I have a low reading the following morning!

If the drop in glucose level is gradual, even if it goes very low, it is unlikely to trigger hypoglycemic symptoms. This is because our body/brain energy needs would be compensate with and met by ketones upregulation etc.

A reactive hypo event typically triggers between 3-5 hrs after the carb heavy meal. The rapid change sends the brain into a panic.
upload_2017-10-26_7-2-45.png

Reactions: Rowan.Element

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbA1c is always in the fours and I'm a long term T2 low carber, no meds. The only time I had symptoms of hypos was when I was very fat and ate a lot of carbs and those symptoms were bloody awful to the point I would have to sit down in shops and the children would grab a drink for me.
4.7 is awesome, you are doing this right.

Reactions: kokhongw

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have only had one reading in the 4s and that was a 4.9. I felt fine. I saw the recommended values for T2s not on meds on a table right here on DCUK which said 4-7mmol. I trust the info here rather than FB but must admit I would have checked here anyway.

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been sub 4 a couple of times and felt a little odd, normally happens late in the afternoon and by dinner time the pre food tests come back mid 4's.
Something to be aware of.
Good stuff and well done.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just so that it is clear, as it can be confusing.

When blood glucose levels are continually in flux and the spike and quick drop is uncontrolled, that is when you get symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia. You do not have the condition of hypoglycaemia.

The condition of reactive hypoglycaemic is when the pancreas overshoots insulin after the glucose is depleted, as a norm.
Only a very low carb diet will control the insulin response.

4.7 is a really great normal reading.
No need to worry!

Best wishes

Reactions: Jo_the_boat