1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are my abs killing my DexCom?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by helensaramay, Nov 3, 2017.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I self-fund ad hoc DexCom G4 which I connect to my Animas Vibe (whilst it is still supported).
    I tried attaching it on my arm but only successfully used it attached to belly.

I exercise regularly: as well as walking pretty much everywhere (more than 10 miles a day is not unusual) and climbing once a week, I am a frequent visitor to the gym. At the gym I do a combination of cardio (e.g. 20 - 30 minutes on the tread mill), free weights and abdominal work such as crunches.

I have used 5 DexCom sensors over the last 6 months. They usually last nine or ten days before the readings become so intermittent, I remove the sensor and resort to finger pricking.

Since I applied my latest sensor, my days have been pretty much the same as any other DexCom day except ... my gym program has been due for a renewal. As a result, I have been doing more cardio including walking and running, my usual climbing and less ab work. Everything else has stayed the same.

I have now been wearing my DexCom sensor for 17 days, a week longer than any other time, and it is still consistently giving me readings.

I know this is a single sample, which is probably statistically insignificant, but do I have to put my dream of "Abs of Steel" on hold if I want to maintain good BG control without killing my finger tips?

(There are other reason such as my diet which may also hinder my "Abs of Steel" dream but I would rather blame diabetes than chocolate :).)

2. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay if there were a prize for 'best thread title of the day' I think this is definitely a contender! It sounds worthy of a Philip K Dick sci-fi* book title - you know - like 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'!

All joking aside, gosh, it's interesting that the switch to more cardio and less ab work has had such an immediately positive effect on the lifespan of your sensor - but does that mean it has to come down to a choice between sensor life and ripped abs?

I don't use a Dexcom, and thankfully I'm still okay with a Libre sensor on my arm despite massively ramping up my own gym lifestyle, so I can't offer any actual advice, I'm afraid!

Glad chocolate still gets a look-in, though!

:)

*Snapsy's not actually read any sci-fi.

• Like Like x 1
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay . I cannot believe you've asked this question........have you forgotten that you're a T1 diabetic?
    Since when did anything make sense ?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.
    Seriously though I wish I could offer something but I'm at a loss.
    Ripped abs or more Dexcom life? I'd go for the latter BUT only because you paint an attractive picture with all the walking ,gym work and ripped abs. I'm a married man, you ladies ( @Snapsy that includes you) need to consider how all this exercise impacts on an old guy like me:):):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  4. katmcd

katmcd Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay Quick question, do you stick your dexcom down with anything?

5. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use SkinTac.
    After 2 weeks, it has stared to come off so I have stuck it down with some extra micro pore tape.

6. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I usually wear my dexcom somewhere in the region of my arse cheek/hip. I run 3 or 4 times a week and I bootcamp 3 mornings a week (decent amount of glute squat/lung type body weight exercises in that). It's perfectly happy being on my bum/hip/thigh despite the exercise, although to be fair there is a decent amount of padding between the sensor and the muscles being used. In contrast my omnipod does NOT like being on my legs when I'm running, but I stopped sticking it my legs last winter (having only started using it in July) so it might have been the cold that upset it, rather than the exercise. I usually get a good three weeks out of a sensor. I don't use skin tac or any adhesive, I don't stick anything on or over it for the first couple of weeks. If it starts to look a bit tired I might stick a rockadex tape over it for week three.

7. katmcd

katmcd Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe it needs more sticking. I have mine on my tummy always, with skin tac and rock tape h20 from as soon as I put it on. I gym 4x a week and it lasts about 4 weeks (the rock tape I change when it start's to lift). The one time it failed quicker was when I didn't put rock tape on as I was away and forgot it. It went off within a couple of days. As soon as mine gets a bit loose I see the readings start to go astray. Try it, those abs of steel could still be a reality!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook