Are there any fellow Diabetics with Celiacs?

wingsofreedom

Hi There, I'm Sarah I'm 27 and was diagnosed with T1D about 3 months ago. It was not long after this that I also started experiencing symptoms associated with Celiacs Disease (Gluten Intolarence) as well as T1D. I was wondering if there may be anyone else out there that are going thru, are, or know of someone that maybe, has been, or going thru a similar situation. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah

There are a few of us here with both T1 and coeliacs.

I've had T1 for a long time but only diagnosed coelic a couple of years back, although I find it easier to manage than T1.

wingsofreedom

Hi Robert,
It's nice to here from some one that is in the same situation. I have very recently been diagnosed with both and am still trying to get my head around it all. How do you find it? Do you have troubles with carbs ect. Do you struggle with finding suitable foods? Are there any helpful hints that you may be able to share?
Thanks Sarah :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
wingsofreedom said:
Hi There, I'm Sarah I'm 27 and was diagnosed with T1D about 3 months ago. It was not long after this that I also started experiencing symptoms associated with Celiacs Disease (Gluten Intolarence) as well as T1D. I was wondering if there may be anyone else out there that are going thru, are, or know of someone that maybe, has been, or going thru a similar situation. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Hi, Sorry to hear of your double whammy, so close to each other too!! Have you been tested for Coeliac Disease? I am type 1 as well and In November last year I was diagnosed with Coeliac (I was then 23 yrs Type 1) after blood tests and two Endoscopies. I was so ill last year and when finally diagnosed, I found it was a huge relief to find out what it was. Can I ask what symptoms you have?

Nice to meet you, best wishes

RRB :)
Just seen your reply to Robert, I found it difficult as first, but months on you soon get used to it, except for eating out, that can be tricky. Three of us went to Southampton on a Sunday a few weeks ago, and my friend wanted to look in IKea, we decided to eat in their restaurant, all I could eat was some salad and a babies yogurt, I was not a happy bunny :x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to have to take in all that info at the same time :shock:

The only special food I get is Genius bread (which I get on prescription) otherwise I just avoid anything with gluten. It's more tricky when eating out, but I'm getting more used to it.

Can't advise about the T1/carbs side of things without knowing what injections you're on. Also I'm a long way from honeymoon period (don't remember much about it now) so hopefully others can help you with that.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah. I was diagnosed at the end of February this year. My doctor sent me for a coeliacs test last week so I'm still awaiting the results. I'm not sure why as I have no symptoms really, just some fuzzy eyesight after some meals.

It seems it's a pretty common combination!

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
Told ya there would be others :p Glad you got some people in the same boat!

wingsofreedom

Hello To you all, :) it's Refreshing to hear how other people Handel it all as when you find that you have no family history of diabetes or Celiacs it is often hard to wrap your head around and it's hard to find people that understand. I am glad I found this place now. :). As far as my Injections go I am a 3 injections of Novo Rapid that's one before each meal and then I have Lantas Long acting before bed. My levels have been rather stable at the moment but I'm sure this new diet is going to mess them around a bit. I found I was a celiac after being admitted to Hospital for treatment for Diabetes. I started to experience symptoms of nausea, bloating, vertigo/dizziness which i had been mentioning and suffering with for awhile. They ran some other tests to see if what I was feeling was attributed to the insulin and or my blood pressure. Then the Dr Said we are going to send you for the special blood test to see if you have Celiacs. So I went and had that and the results came back extremely conclusive, but just to make sure they sent me to have a biopsy. Those results just confirmed what we already knew. :( I currently working on developing a meal plan and making lists of places that do gluten free foods. I look forward to learning and sharing some information with you all.
Regards Sarah :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah,

You will probably find your blood sugars improve with the gluten free diet! Mine sure as hell did.

Where are you located in the world? Coeliac UK is a really helpful organisation to help you get started. I'm not sure if your in america as your using their spelling of coeliac? If so I cant suggest anywhere to eat out :)

wingsofreedom

Hi Engineer88,
If I use this (G'Day) it may help to know where I am. But if your not sure. I am rather a long way away from the UK, I'm live down in Australia. But I have found that this forum much more involved and informative rather than any others that I have found else where including locally.

Yes I am finding that the new diet is helping with sugar levels, and I am finding that my tummy is feeling much better and the nausea I was feeling constantly has subsided. So it's just a matter of working thru things. Do you mind me asking where abouts in the UK you are?
Regards Sarah :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the midlands, originally from South Wales. I've heard Austrailia is amazing for GF as your labling laws are really strict! Also Genius bread is now available down under if I'm correctly informed. Its awesome toast! If you need any help with Gf I'm more than willing to help where I can but I'm sure you have it covered. Aimee