mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If you feel so strongly about it then why oh why do you and others continue to post here and disrupt this forum?
So you're now saying I'm disruptive ? You seem to make a habit of judging others from afar whilst maintaining a very high opinion of yourself Sidney :)

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Second warning guys, back on topic or this thread will be locked.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also do not wish to spoil your thread but can't you see this has everything to do with your thread ? Openness, honesty, accountability etc ?

I'm not challenging the validity of the comment, but we don't need the thread to be dominated by it. It is on record, and supported by several members, including myself.

All I am asking is that if a *****-fest is about to break out (and I was seeing the signs), then I would be disappointed for this whole thread, of over 300, polite and civil posts, to be killed off, and potentially deleted, by something we, as a group, can control.

Whilst I started this thread, I don't "own" it. It belongs to the community, so if it is the group's collective feeling to carry on, I can't stop that, and nor should I have the power to stop it. We are a diverse and dynamic group. But, having started some dialogue with some common aims, let's not shoot our own foot and create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
But, having started some dialogue with some common aims, let's not shoot our own foot and create a self-fulfilling prophecy.
100% agreed. Let's keep this a positive and productive thread :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And breath, dont you see that what has happened here makes everything said by the admin a nonsense? i was actually very happy with what this thread had achieved! maybe i was wrong about the admin of this site, maybe they werent dictating whos views were allowed, maybe they did care about the members and was open to new ideas, perhaps they did not support certain members and have it in for others who werent sending out their approved message?... well Pauls treatment proves my fears all true, it comes as no surprise that members of the cliche are defending this attrocious behaviour, Sid, you are suggesting his banning is due to what he has said on the low carb forum? is it against DCUK rules to post something they dont like on a different website? lol does their power rein over the rest of our lives? not just constraining what we say on this website? although i detest "im leaving"
posts....im leaving! with great sadness, thankyou everyone for your support and friendship, i simply cannot support this underhanded tirany by means of my presence, Paul has been an excellent friend and a massive help to me and countless others over the years, he was a voice of reason achieving amazing control and using minimal medication as a type one low carber, this is a disgrace, the end.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
OK I am not trying to disrupt the thread. I just want to express my sadness at this. The two guys who really helped me as a newbie, Paul and Andy are leaving. I'll sure miss you both:(

Reactions: 6 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too, I may not have agreed with everything they said, but friends are precious.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly my point. I'm not suggesting anyone should never receive a lifetime ban but that is a serious thing in my opinion. I'm aware that Paul occasionally ruffled feathers but he was never "poisonous or unsavoury". He was passionate about low carb and helping others. My main point though is this happened whilst you were all discussing openness, fairness and accountability which is a bit strange. Also, if Paul really deserved this ( which I doubt very much ), whoever gave the ban should at least have had the courage to fully explain why instead of hiding behind automatic messaging. This is a low point for DCUK in my opinion.

I want a definition of 'unsavoury and poisonous' from admin please.

Also, a response to what @mo1905 has told us, because this all makes me feel very very uneasy. I do not know if anything I post could be defined in the same way. I have had occasions when some posts directed at me have, in my opinion been unsavoury, yet the poster has not been banned.

Also, as much as I respect @mo1905, and trust him to give an accurate account there has to be an opportunity to have the opinion of the admin team, regarding this, too.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guys, guys, can I please ask everyone to consider our actions here. Obviously, we are discussing a third party situation here (as he's banned, I doubt he can participate), and that's not helpful in itself, but probably understandable. For the record, I agree that if what is being said here is correct, it's at best unhelpful from Admin/Mods.

But, come on now. We're in danger of this thread veering off into areas that endanger the thread itself. Deleting this thread would not be helpful.

This thread's existence appears to have created some form of dialogue the Mods/Admin, and it felt very positive. We have logged issues, and have commitments from the Mods/Admin to make changes/improvements. Losing the thread loses our audit trail and adult, civil conversation, not to mention any goodwill.

Feel free to continue discussing Paul, if you feel that's the right thing to do, but please create a new thread for that purpose. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
I was not discussing an individual, but I am alarmed by the system in place that has dismissed someone, but we have no clarification of what it is that caused the dismissal, so are all vulnerable to the same fate.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And breath, dont you see that what has happened here makes everything said by the admin a nonsense? i was actually very happy with what this thread had achieved! maybe i was wrong about the admin of this site, maybe they werent dictating whos views were allowed, maybe they did care about the members and was open to new ideas, perhaps they did not support certain members and have it in for others who werent sending out their approved message?... well Pauls treatment proves my fears all true, it comes as no surprise that members of the cliche are defending this attrocious behaviour, Sid, you are suggesting his banning is due to what he has said on the low carb forum? is it against DCUK rules to post something they dont like on a different website? lol does their power rein over the rest of our lives? not just constraining what we say on this website? although i detest "im leaving"
posts....im leaving! with great sadness, thankyou everyone for your support and friendship, i simply cannot support this underhanded tirany by means of my presence, Paul has been an excellent friend and a massive help to me and countless others over the years, he was a voice of reason achieving amazing control and using minimal medication as a type one low carber, this is a disgrace, the end.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Leaving is not the right response. We need to stay and keep on questioning. Sorry you feel like that @Andy12345 I have always enjoyed your posts and your humour.

Reactions: 4 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I was not discussing an individual, but I am alarmed by the system in place that has dismissed someone, but we have no clarification of what it is that caused the dismissal, so are all vulnerable to the same fate.
Paul was banned as he has been given far too many chances across his multiple accounts. He has been permanently banned, after being banned temporarily several times in the past. Please refer to this section of the forum rules:

Moderator discretion will be used in cases of particularly bad behaviour.

Please also refer to the following clause in our rules:

Administrators reserve the right to ban or infract for any reason at their discretion. The above rules and associated punishments only apply when the admin can reasonably judge that a user does not deserve some other, perhaps more severe form of punishment for any unconscionable act they might make on the forums.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe, My first thought was your unwarranted comment.
" I'm also just tagging the Mods, so that we can be reasonably confident that points raised will be read by them."
To me that is the type of dig that is not necessary and leads to friction within the forum.
However this thread has been good and proved many interesting points.
I did not wan't to right, regarding friction.
"It is never wise to tell or use criticism to the pilots while their flying the plane" time for the plane to land and let those passengers cool down.:)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Nice. Well-reasoned and mature response from Admin. That'll help.

Smidge

'Moderator discretion' means 'we can do anything we like' - that is not a justification it is an expression of power. Which is all well and good if you are running a prison, but let's not forget where the content comes from here, let's not forget who posts comments and advice and let's not forget what this forum is about; it is about us the members and our daily battle with diabetes.

I think it is barmy that Paul was banned unless it was for some dodgy recipe he posted; what on earth does "unsavoury and poisonous" mean? Which post of his is deemed to be so troublesome that it requires an inelegant double synonym like that?

Lastly, I'd like to point out that the only consideration any moderator should have is the content posted here; you have absolutely no right to try and assert control over what people say or do or post anywhere but here. I'm shocked that people have needed to remind the moderation team of that.

Anyway, eyes front carry on.

Dillinger

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, I would say a very good well reasoned response from Admin.

As Giverny has said lets keep this a positive thread.

Members do not get banned for nothing and this is something that is not taken lightly.

Best wishes RRB :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Dillinger -

The Diabetes Forum was the first place to allow discussion about diet in relation to diabetes, and continues to do so. We understand diet can be a contentious issue, yet we can not tolerate, and will not tolerate, bullying of members of this forum to take place.

Moderators are able to see a plethora of information that members can not see. This includes (yet isn't a prescriptive list): IP addresses, whether multiple users are using the same IP address, the history of that user in relation to their IP, posts, reported threads, posts and markers. Please be aware that banning users is not a knee-jerk reaction; there is a history to these actions that we are not able to share. We understand this may seem as though 'we can do anything we like', however, as I hope you can understand, this is not the case.

Where appropriate, we have an obligation to take action. Compassion is a balancing act. We encourage discussion, but where it contravenes the ethos of this forum, we, occasionally, must make tough decisions.

We apologise for any upset this may cause. We do this with the interest of the community at heart; we are together in this. (There is enough nastiness going on in the world to fill an infinite number of Daily Mail editions.)

We encourage discussion - but always with compassion and understanding for others.

Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.