Artichoke extract and lower bs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
too soon to say for sure as it could just be a quirky diabetes few days

However I started taking artichoke extract and I'm having hypos. I started 4 days ago with just one then bumped to 3 and the last few days having hypos. Meals haven't changed at all but I hit 50 twice ( NO GOOD) and waking up with fastings in the 80's without my DP kicking in. I'm also having g to put more time between meals to not hypo.

In the morning I always needed one unit, eat, an hour later one half or one. I waited 2 hours and took half unit to stop the morning rise, snacked and hit 50. Ate some smoked salmon and avocado ( protein raises me as fast as carbs and didn't want to roller coaster) it took 3 hours to get up to 85!

It is known to have a significant bs lowering effect. There was someone else on this forum with NFALD and I recommended artichoke extract. She reported back she had to lower both basal and bolus by about one third. I got it hoping it would help my DP. I think her name was Ann but forgot her screen name. I'd like to check in and see if it's still helping. I wish I could remember the name of the thread!

Again too soon to confirm but it's sure lookin that way.

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey @Kristin251 for one moment there I misread your thread title as Avocado extract, and thought 'nooooooooooooooooo, how could you 'extract' the goodness from your beloved avocado?'!

Artichoke extract, mind you, sounds like it's got a heck of an anti-glucose kick to it! Sorry to hear about the hypos. Not good. Following thread with interest.

:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey @Kristin251 for one moment there I misread your thread title as Avocado extract, and thought 'nooooooooooooooooo, how could you 'extract' the goodness from your beloved avocado?'!

Artichoke extract, mind you, sounds like it's got a heck of an anti-glucose kick to it! Sorry to hear about the hypos. Not good. Following thread with interest.

FELL OFF MY CHAIR AGAIN!!! I LOVE your humor. Always makes my day better!!
I found the other link and it was Ann and chirrosis and NAFLD so waiting to hear her report.

Did you google ARTICHOKE extract? Kills cancer cells, purifies the liver ( I can tell it's doing something there. Only positive) lower cholesterol and much much more.

I can't come up with any other reason unless its whimsical bs bs but it's never happened before.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What dose are you taking and from which supplier?

:) I know you are taking 3 of them, just not what strength.:)

Certainly tempting to give it a try.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What dose are you taking and from which supplier?

:) I know you are taking 3 of them, just not what strength.:)

Certainly tempting to give it a try.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swa...-potency-artichoke-extract-350-mg-30-veg-caps

They're supposed to be great for digestion too!
I'm taking one with bf, one with wine and one before bed. Again too soon to say with certainty but I'm the second person who saw lower insulin needs. I'll keep you posted !! If this works it would be awesome!! Even if just with DP. And not expensive

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you google ARTICHOKE extract?
Wow, it sounds as if it packs a punch. I'll see how you get on with it with your DP - that's really interesting. Do keep us posted!

I read with particular interest its usefulness in the circumstance of alcohol hangover. Now that might be of interest to someone else in my life on the occasional weekend.
*coughs*

Out of interest, and with apologies for the derail, do you have experience of Jerusalem artichokes? They're a knobbly root vegetable/tuber which pack a hefty (nay, extreme - and digestion-related) punch of their own. Now if they were to extract and bottle THAT there would be trouble, yes sireeeee....

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
<snip>

Out of interest, and with apologies for the derail, do you have experience of Jerusalem artichokes? They're a knobbly root vegetable/tuber which pack a hefty (nay, extreme - and digestion-related) punch of their own. Now if they were to extract and bottle THAT there would be trouble, yes sireeeee....

Jerusalem Artichokes make Metformin seem positively benign!

Probably too carby for me now, but they were divine roasted.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jerusalem Artichokes make Metformin seem positively benign!

Probably too carby for me now, but they were divine roasted.
We used to have them in soup when we were kids (Dad had a penchant for growing gluts of all sorts of 'interesting' things) - the flavour was amazing but the after-effects would rather spoil the rest of the day!
:rolleyes:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, it sounds as if it packs a punch. I'll see how you get on with it with your DP - that's really interesting. Do keep us posted!

I read with particular interest its usefulness in the circumstance of alcohol hangover. Now that might be of interest to someone else in my life on the occasional weekend.
*coughs*

Short update. I eat two small lunches. Recovering from a 50 I ate the first half. No insulin. Took four hours to get to 90. Ate the second half with half unit. One hour later 92. Took an artichoke feeling high enough to avoid a bad hypo. Two. Hour sleep later 80! I never drop after two hours. and ate more than usual.

No experience with Jerusalem but rather globe. Never bothered with all their work to get to the meat but hav eaten them marinated. Too fiber rich and caused constipation for me.

As far as hangovers they make one named something like Fiest Call that is artichoke and sarsaparilla and I can say it definitely minimizes or completely stops a hangover.
There's another one I used to use called Livamend by body ecology and that has artichoke sarsaparilla milk thistle and wasabi. Available at amazon.
Artichoke- liver cleanser
Sarsaparilla- blood purifier
Milk thistle- liver protectant
Wasabi- anti bacteria. Viral ( which is also the reason is served with sushi/ sashimi )

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
US site says take one.

Two UK sites http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/good-n-natural-artichoke-extract-capsules-60001056 and https://www.healthspan.co.uk/products/artichoke-extract#/?pack size=120 say not more than two per day.

How did you settle on 3 per day (which seems to be above the recommended dose)?
I do my research. They always error on the side of caution and recommend low as a daily maintenance dose.
If using for a specific reason higher doses may be needed.
I researched dosing for liver toxicity as well as glucose control.
I also believe divided doses of all supps are best
I haven't actually settled yet. More testing to a) be sure it's lowering bs and b) to get a head start. Might need to drop down to two. I'm certainly taking one before bed to watch DP as that's my enemy right now. 3 might be too much if I keep hypoing. I'll take one in the morning and see if it helps stop the morning rise as it did today. Way stopped it. Went south actually haha

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eww I have nothing to do with maltodextrin ( corn sugar ). I'm sure you can find a better one. Or the Swanson she might be on Amazon.

Well spotted.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/447600-why-use-maltodextrin-in-food/
has interesting facts.

Especially that it is used as a bulking and crystallising agent in artificial sweeteners.

Resistant maltodextrin looks fine because it isn't absorbed as a sugar, and outside the US I don't think it is always made from corn (see warnings about gluten). However there is no indication which type this is.

I am now wondering how many common pills have some in. Interesting that both examples linked to above have it as a bulking agent.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, I think they already did that - it's called avocado oil ;) :D

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually, I think they already did that - it's called avocado oil ;) :D
LOL - it's just that the word 'extract' sounds like it's the result of a painful procedure! I felt rather sorry for the item having extraction forced upon it, in this case the avocado.

My husband is on a drug which he calls 'extract of mouse'. It's never sounded terribly positive!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update.

Second day fasting is under 100. Haven't seen that in awhile. It used to always be until the wind blew in China 6 months ago and everything went haywire.

I took one before bed and just now with bf. I'll see if it tames the morning rise beast. This would be miraculous coupled with all the wonderful other things it does.

The first day I, to sure I noticed anything but forgot to analyze. The second day I remember being like huh. That's good. Forgot to analyze again. Duh. The third and forth day were when I started really noticing a drop. Now that I think of it day one and two I only took one as I get negative reactions to multiple supps and I was starting a new Vit D so wanted to check for reactions

Day 3&4 I took 3-4. Kind of wanted to clean out the liver a bit faster and planned to drop to a maintainence dose. I also took 2 with wine to help process the wine and help my liver.

Not sure what my dose will be and it will probably vary but for now most definitely before bed and with bf. And most likely with wine.

I may add sarsaparilla to the mix next time I order. It's dirt cheap too. The combination of artichoke and sarsaparilla are supposed to be the best blood and liver purifier and is said the combination can reverse cirrhosis as well as being a tonic more powerful than chemotherapy.
A quick google of artichoke and sarsaparilla ....

https://liverhealth.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/what-does-artichoke-and-sarsaparilla-do-for-the-liver/

http://anti-hangover.com/firstcall.html

I used to use first call all the time and it most certainly worked!! They changed the name from First Call to Livergard

I think buying them separately from swansons would be much cheaper.

For the record, all the Swanson supps I've used have been very high quality and always noticed a difference when taking them.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update number 2.

Woke with lower fast as said above. Took my morning dose and are my standard bf. One hour later which is when I need another dose to stop the rise I was 12 (us) lower. So 92-80. This NEVER happens.

It's looking like solid gold. Too soon to confirm but I'm getting really convinced.

Now I, going to research sarsaparilla to make sure it doesn't counter artichoke for bs.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds amazeballs, @Kristin251 ! This is fascinating to read about and it sounds as if it's making a real difference to that pesky morning rise.

Don't forget the ice and a slice!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Who needs the ice?? Lol. Just kidding.

Morning rise update. As said, I take insulin, then an hour later or less I start the rise. It took 2.5 hours this morning. Also with only one or two lantus basal is all gone by morning so I use bolus for the day. I needed injection every 2-2.5 hours. Now lasting 3+.
I think the first two days I didn't see much as I was only taking one. After bumping to 3-4 is when I saw the difference.

I'm skipping sarsaparilla for now. Not fixing it if it's not broken.

Looking at dosing it says for heartburn or digestive issues to take 320-640 mg 3x day. For bp up to 1500mg 3x day. I'm not fearing overdosing with 4.

Off to hoard at Swanson as the sale is $10 instead of $16 AND buy one get one free. I'm hoarding before all you people get there and they run out hahahha

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy