Aspartame free soda drinks?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Are there any aspartame free soda drinks?

I've seen a ton of videos on the negative aspects of aspartame but like my fizzy drinks so would love to know about any aspartame free drinks!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double Check, but I think that Pepsi Max and Coke Zero don't have aspartame, the sweetner is sucralose

pzw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double Check, but I think that Pepsi Max and Coke Zero don't have aspartame, the sweetner is sucralose

I won't touch products that contain aspartame, so I'm also looking for soft drinks that I can consume occasionally. So following the reply by Lesley I've had a quick look at Sucralose.

First glance looked promising, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
but digging further I found this,
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-dangers.aspx
and this
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262475.php (interesting downgrade from 'safe' to 'caution' due to link to cancer).

There are many more reports, and many of them recently published (just google 'sucralose'), so I guess my search goes on and sucralose is added to my list of product that I personally won't touch.

JustDomUK

I have a bad reaction to sucralose but not all people do. After reading up on the different types of sweeteners I came to the conclusion that both Asparteme and Acesulfame K used together was the easiest on me. These are generally used together. Asparteme appears to take the bitter aftertaste of Acesulfame K away. That said, all diet cokes and Zeros use Asparteme with Acesulfame K. This I believe is because the soda companies own the sweeteners that they use. Certainly the new Truvia sweetener is owned by Coke. Used in small amounts Asparteme is ok and doesn't cause any spikes with me. Sainsburys Asda and Tesco use Sucralose in their own brand drinks.
It is worth bearing in mind that the amount you consume is quite small due to the sweetness level of the sweetener used.

I've been diabetic for 35 years and remember the first Tab Cola with its bitter saccharin taste. I also remember the nightmare of Sorbitol. Over the years Ive consumed almost all of the main sweeteners and until Sucralose, had no bad reactions. The amount you need to drink to cause harmful effects is high and quite near impossible in my mind. Both the European food and FDA in the US stipulate the amounts.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are there any aspartame free soda drinks?

I've seen a ton of videos on the negative aspects of aspartame but like my fizzy drinks so would love to know about any aspartame free drinks!
Sainsbury's don't use aspartame in their sugar free squashes or fizzy drinks :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty sure that M&S Diet Cola doesn’t use aspartame. Both Coke Zero and Pepsi Max DO contain aspartame.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the U.S., I purchase Zevia pop. It is sweetened with Stevia and has a very small and natural list of ingredients.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Folks, just a wee heads up. I usually only drink either Sainsburys own brand diet coke or Vimto Zero because they both have sucralose as the sweetener. Anything with aspartame upsets my stomach.

In Tesco this morning, I found that their own-brand diet coke now only uses sucralose. The carb value is 0.1g per 100ml, a wee bit less than Sainsburys and, for me, it tastes OK.

Bill