aspirin in pregnancy

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts on aspirin are? I'm 18 weeks and know you need to start before 20 weeks for it to be of any benefit (pre-eclampsia prevention) but my blood pressure has always been low, and I know there's risks of gastrointenstinal/brain bleeding if you take aspirin, so two weeks after appointment I'm still looking at the prescription debating if I'll take or not. I've also had a couple of operations in recent years, and had the blood thinning injections, so don't know if this will have any bearing. I don't think I've had a stomuch ulcer before, but do have a very irritable stomach / problems with guts. Obstretician said its routine practice to prescribe aspirin to pregnant diabetics (but they said that about statins a few years back, and I know several people who had bad reactions), but that it was borderline if it would be of any benefit to me and told me to research it and decide for myself! Other than eating healthily / exercising / keeping hba1c down, is there any way to prevent pre-eclampsia without drugs?

Sorry for rambling on! I've read several research papers online, and am swaying towards taking it on the basis its low dose and it'll only be for a few months, but but thought I'd try some first hand advice first!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but you are best off talking to your medical team or pharmacist about this.

Reactions: 2 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I wouldn't go there if you have retinopathy. I was put on it, even though I questioned my doctor, I was told not to worry about it but worry I did when I had a massive bleed in my eye at 36w. They took me off the aspirin immediately.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks anti carb, advice like that the docs don't tell you. Had my screening earlier this week so will see what outcome is

the_anticarb

Dislikes
good luck, hope is ok. Did they say at the screening whether they could see anything?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take aspirin at the advice of my obstetrician. I was told to take it from 12 weeks. I was quite nervous about it and googled for hours, but decided to take it after reading the research. I'm now 24wks pregnant.

I'd taken aspirin before at the advice of my GP to prevent heart problems, etc, but that one did upset my tummy. However, the one I take now has been fine. I take it after breakfast. I haven't noticed any problems.

I take Aspirin 75mg Gastro Resistant tablets - available from a famous high street chemist.

If you have additional health problems, I'd definitely check with your consultant. My obstetrician said to take it until I gave birth, but online I'd read to stop it two or three weeks before in case you need a C section as it can increase bleeding. I haven't decided when to stop it yet.

Just to add - my blood pressure has always been fine and I've never had pre eclampsia in my previous pregnancies, but, after a lot of agonising, I decided to go with the aspirin this time.

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is good evidence out there that for women with increased risk factors for pre-eclampsia ( of which diabetes is one) aspirin reduces this risk.

Obviously if you have other medical problems these need to be taken into consideration. The risk of side effects such as ulcers/bleeding etc in healthy ppl is low as it is a low dose.

It's effectiveness is significantly reduced if started after 18 or 20 weeks as the blood vessels in the placenta (which are the problem in pre-eclampsia) are fully developed after then.

I took it from 12 to 37 weeks and didn't have any blood pressure problems.

Good luck making your decision.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thanks guys, they didn't see anything obvious at eye screening and previous ones have all been fine so decided risk of pre-eclampsia outweighed risk of bleeding and started taking tablets a couple of days ago. Today, of course, I received letter advising "slight early diabetic changes to your eyes" ****! Will see if I can get a hold of diabetic nurse before I take tomorrow's tablet and see if this changes their advice...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Good luck, I found that they still advised me to take aspirin despite the fact that I'd had severe bleeds and vitrectomy less than a year before I got pregnant. They said nothing was gonna happen to my eyes (this is the eye doctor) at 30w then at 36w it all went bonkers. If you only have very minor diabetic changes you may be ok. But I have learned not to take anything for granted with retinopathy it can be very unpredictable. Just be sure to ge your eyes checked each semester and after you've had the baby too.

Reactions: 2 people

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks anti carb, the guy doing the screen put in request for routine follow up but I'll chase if I don't hear anything by 24 weeks to make sure I get a 3rd trim appt. diabetic nurse said it was just a couple of dots in picture (one eye) so should be ok if keep sugars under control...