At home glucose test

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently I am doing my first test of the day fasting but just before breaakfast, so maybe 2 hours after getting up. I presume this has allowed the dawn phenomenon to wear off by the time I test, so I am getting a lower figure, but my main rreason is that with my Raynauds it is just too hard to get blood from my fingers straight after being inactive in bed. There is a principle that one should not do tests if the results, whatever they may be, will lead to no change in our actions. I am not clear if there are any actions I can do to prevent the dawn phenomenon, or even if that is desirable, so why do a test that may be skewed by it? On the other hand, since the dawn phenomenon is supposed to happen around 4am, maybe getting up earlier and using all that bg as intended rather than lying in as I often do til 8-9 might be a good idea?

Oh I think you should do the test when you think it is best for you. That wasn't my point and I am sorry if you thought it was. My point was I didn't realise DRs surgeries had stopped FBG tests BECAUSE of DP. I knew they had in favour of HBA1C as I posted. Nothing to do with when individuals should test at all.

I agree with you BTW - don't test if you cannot take any action. My DP kicks in when I get out of bed and hangs around for about 4 hours depending how active I am.

Most often it seems people on this site test as soon as they can to waking up. There was even a thread of what that meant in terms of whether people got out of bed, washed hands etc so that shows how close some were to wake up and test. I also think the over whelming response to that thread was as long as it is at a consistent moment then that would be fine.

Good luck with your testing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently I am doing my first test of the day fasting but just before breaakfast, so maybe 2 hours after getting up. I presume this has allowed the dawn phenomenon to wear off by the time I test, so I am getting a lower figure, but my main rreason is that with my Raynauds it is just too hard to get blood from my fingers straight after being inactive in bed. There is a principle that one should not do tests if the results, whatever they may be, will lead to no change in our actions. I am not clear if there are any actions I can do to prevent the dawn phenomenon, or even if that is desirable, so why do a test that may be skewed by it? On the other hand, since the dawn phenomenon is supposed to happen around 4am, maybe getting up earlier and using all that bg as intended rather than lying in as I often do til 8-9 might be a good idea?

The DP can happen at any time throughout the day and night. With many people it only starts after they have risen and started their day. I have never had an overnight DP - ever, even when first diagnosed my overnight levels were in the 5s and flat. Mine started within half an hour of getting up and then got all mixed up with my breakfast readings! I was still too high by lunch time. I resolved it by having a coffee with cream within 10 minutes of getting up and nothing else to eat until lunch time. That worked for me. It is our bodies regulating themselves. As far as I am concerned, doing a FBG test is a waste of time in many cases, and a waste of strips. It teaches you nothing.

Reactions: Fleegle

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I think you should do the test when you think it is best for you. That wasn't my point and I am sorry if you thought it was. My point was I didn't realise DRs surgeries had stopped FBG tests BECAUSE of DP. I knew they had in favour of HBA1C as I posted. Nothing to do with when individuals should test at all.

I agree with you BTW - don't test if you cannot take any action. My DP kicks in when I get out of bed and hangs around for about 4 hours depending how active I am.

Most often it seems people on this site test as soon as they can to waking up. There was even a thread of what that meant in terms of whether people got out of bed, washed hands etc so that shows how close some were to wake up and test. I also think the over whelming response to that thread was as long as it is at a consistent moment then that would be fine.

Good luck with your testing.

Thanks Fleegle. Surely this can't really be the reason GP surgeries prefer HbA1c tests. After all, these tests take place in the GP surgery and the patients' bgs would have had time to subside from any high due to the dp (especially if, as in my case, they have to walk a mile to get there and if, as is also my case, they are always late for the appointment so the walk is more of a run).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Fleegle. Surely this can't really be the reason GP surgeries prefer HbA1c tests. After all, these tests take place in the GP surgery and the patients' bgs would have had time to subside from any high due to the dp (especially if, as in my case, they have to walk a mile to get there and if, as is also my case, they are always late for the appointment so the walk is more of a run).

I think the reason why surgeries prefer the HbA1c over the FBG is because the HbA1c doesn't require fasting. This means the tests can be done throughout the day and not restricted to early mornings, so waiting times are less. So many factors are involved with the FBG, and DP will arise with stress, rushing about getting ready and going to the surgery, anxiety because of the test, and other reasons. In my case if I had to walk a mile to get to the surgery my levels would go up on an empty stomach, not down. Everyone is different.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood reading this morning was 6.5 :( Assuming though if it drops back down again after 2 hours then it's dawn phenomenon and I shouldn't worry too much? (do non diabetics experience dawn phenomenon too?)

Yes, everyone has a release of sugar to get them going in the morning but when the body is working correctly it should not raise your blood sugar so much as your insulin should deal with it.

I agree you should not worry though (it raises blood sugar for one) focus on finding a sustainable way of eating and exercise that stops large post meal rises and the fasting reading will eventually improve.

I hope you have a better experience at your medical appointment than I generally have. I get much better information from people on here that have lived with diabetes.

My surgery don't like me testing at home but it's my body, my money and I can't wait a year to find out what's going on.

Reactions: AloeSvea