Athlete with type 1 diabetes completes epic 350-mile challenge

DCUK NewsBot

A former Commonwealth Games cyclist with type 1 diabetes has completed an epic 350-mile ultra-marathon in the Arctic Circle. Roddy Riddle, who is the first Scot to have ever finished the marathon challenge, wanted to take part to show diabetes does not have to hold you back. Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland's Personal Best programme, Mr Riddle said: "I wanted to prove that having type 1 diabetes shouldn't stop you achieving your goals or achievements in life." Many see the 6633 Arctic Ultra as the toughest, coldest and hardest footrace on Earth. It starts from Eagle Plains, Alaska and the finish line is located along the banks of the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk, Canada. Mr Riddle, from Inverness, had entered the race the year before, but was unable to finish. To complete the course, competitors must reach the end in eight days or less. This year, he ended up finishing second, completing the course in just under seven days. He said he had learnt valuable lessons from his first attempt of the race which helped him get through to the finish line. "I wasn't going back a third time. I was not coming home until I finished. Not finishing wasn't an option," Mr Riddle said. "But I was better prepared. Mentally I knew what I needed to do. "I had also learned that I should sleep when I needed to sleep and eat when I needed to eat. It meant I didn't have the wacky hallucinations I had last year." For more information on how to run marathons safely with type 1 diabetes, visit our Diabetes and Sport section.

Continue reading...

Reactions: GrantGam