Atkins bread mix

spinningwoman

I had a bit of a disappointment yesterday - I couldn't get the Carbophobia bread mix I usually use so I bought the Atkins one instead. It produced a very nice granary style loaf with a more 'bready' texture than the Carbophobia, but it quotes about 5g carbs/25g slice whereas the Carbophobia is about half that. (And we all know it is nearly impossible to get a slice which weighs as little as the packet says). Anyway I used an electric slicer to get two very thin slices which totalled about 60g so that I could have a ham sandwich but was shocked to find my BS went up to 8.9 after 1 hr. Looking at the ingredients the first thing is wheat flour - I'm feeling doubtful that it can be really as low carb as they claim. The carbophobia never does that to me and I usually cut the slices by hand so they are quite a bit more than the suggested size. I don't really trust the Atkins brand. Has anyone else tried it?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I still haven't tried to make lo-carb bread. is Whey Protein powder and Soy flour interchangable? Some recipes have Whey protein and some have soy flour, but the recipes are virtually identical...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use:

100 g ground almonds
20 g oat bran (10 g carb)
1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
sieve together

60 g butter (softened)
100 g finely chopped carrot (8 g carb)
20 g Flora proactiv
4 eggs
Beat together
add dry ingredients & beat together
Add water (20-40 ml) for soft dropping consistency & beat
transfer to loaf tin
bake at 180°C for 50-60 mins.

Carbs - about 20 g in 500 g (4%) or 2 g per slice.
It rises to about 5 cm, so slices are small. It toasts like wheat bread & makes sandwiches.

If you want a low carb fruit cake, add 100 g sultanas & a tsp of cinnamon or cake spice.
That will up it to 100 g carb in 600 g, or 10 g per slice.