Atorvastatin

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all, has anyone been switched from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin? My GP says sim not doing the job so has switched me from 40 mg of that to 40 mg of Atorvastatin. Have stopped the sim but can't bring myself to start the new ones as the info leaflet has really worried me.
I had no side effects at all on the sim.
Can anyone put my mind at rest?
Thanx.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Gemini girl,

40 mg of Atorvastatin [ Lipitor ] is equivalent to approximately 80 mg of Simvastatin. I have taken both without any side effects over decades. I dont think that you have any reason to fear the change since ,like me ,you have not had any problems so far .
Good luck and hope that your LDL is soon in good control.

Reactions: 3 people

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi Pasha

Thanks, gosh, I didn't realise that the difference was so much! Wondering why. GP didn't just increase the Simvastatin then!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the NHS is moving away from simvastatin to atorvastatin. I read this somewhere recently. And yes, the Ators are twice the strength of the sims.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I thought exactly the same thing but didnt want to upset the apple cart..

40 mg of Simvastatin will reduce your LDL by 41%
80 mg of Simvastatin will reduce your LDL by 47%

40 mg of Atorvastatin will reduce your LDL by 50%
80 mg of Atorvastatin will reduce your LDL by 60%

FYI I have taken these figures from a book called "Statin Drugs and their alternatives" by JAY S.COHEN, MD.

Hope this helps.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi been on 20mg of Atorvastatin for years no problems but there again I have so many other tablets I wouldn't know what ones causing what.

Reactions: 2 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Many years ago, when I was first prescribed statins, it was Atorvastatin that I was given; it was then one of the newer statins available, and very expensive. About six years ago, after moving house and changing doctors, I was asked if I would mind being swapped onto Simvastatin because it was so much cheaper; I said I didn't mind as long as it did the job, which it did. I was on 80mg of Sim each night until last week when, on needing medication for something unrelated, the doctor noticed that this medication and Simvastatin would not mix, so he swapped me back on to Atorvastatin which is now, to use the doctor's own words, "cheap as chips". Then equivalent dose is 40mg. The other difference is that while the Simvastatin should be taken at night, the Atorvastatin can be taken at any convenient time.
I've never had any side effects with either drug, and both have effectively reduced my cholesterol to acceptable levels, so I wouldn't be too worried, unless you notice a difference.

Reactions: 2 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When I was taken into hospital I was taken off sim and put on 80mg atorvastatin this was about 18 months ago

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Until about 12 months ago phizer was the only company that made atorvastatin and it was expensive, now generics are available so it is now cheap

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got changed to atorvastatin after I had bad stomach ache with sim. Used it for years.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I find it harder to control my BS when I take atorvastatin

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i.m on 10mg atorvastin and have had no problems

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi all, has anyone been switched from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin? My GP says sim not doing the job so has switched me from 40 mg of that to 40 mg of Atorvastatin. Have stopped the sim but can't bring myself to start the new ones as the info leaflet has really worried me.
I had no side effects at all on the sim.
Can anyone put my mind at rest?
Thanx.

Gp's are now switching to atorvastatin as a standard medication for cholesterol than the simvastatin....

There are slightly less reported side effects to the atoravastatin.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Thank you for all yr advice, I have just bitten the bullet and taken the first one. Fingers crossed!