Avocado everyday?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 one at 3pm, one after evening meal at 8pm..... Fbg is too high to eat anything before 3pm when I'm dipping below 6 I have the first one....

Post response is good, 6.4 @ 1 hour, 6.5 at 2 and 5.9@3. I then eat my meal and the other smoothie at around 5.4 @ 8pm and am at 5.8 @ bed time around 11.

Mornings are another story, I've seen my fbg raise from 5.8-6.0 to closer to 7, I'm assuming as a result of the big calorie intake.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried freezing them smashed with a little lemon juice to stop the browning. It works but the texture is not the same and I actually prefer them without lemon//lime juice. Salt, pepper and herbs. Freezing them in slices is horrid when defrosted. I suppose they would work well for smoothies if you throw them in whole.

Recently became addicted to it smashed with smoked salmon!! And just a few onion it'd bits.

Never tried smoothies as I'm afraid smoothies would digest so fast and negate the fiber for slow absorption slowing bs. What do you think?
I don't know about smoothies, they are not something I have but you may well be right about the fibre. I did try making guacamole with the frozen avocados but that wasn't very nice either. I am not in your league as I only have avocados occasionally, often with bacon, but what I am convinced about is the ripeness is the critical factor.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to drink green smoothies all the time, but stopped through smoothie-fatigue and wanting to reduce fruit.
I LOVE 'em.
And I miss 'em.

Maybe I will just splurge one day... used to use spinach or kale, with courgette, avocado, frozen pineapple and frozen cherries, and a few macadamias or cashews... the lower carb I went the less fruit and the more veg I used.

Am salivating at the thought.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like avocados and generally eat then 3-4 times a week.

@Kristin251 :
I use this currency converter for $ to £, and sometimes other,currency comparisons. Unfortunately it seems to have been updated a bit since I last used it and was throwing a bit of "Server Error" wobbly tonight... But nothing compared with the permanent hissy fit my keyboard is currently inflicting on me!

Robbity

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 one at 3pm, one after evening meal at 8pm..... Fbg is too high to eat anything before 3pm when I'm dipping below 6 I have the first one....

Post response is good, 6.4 @ 1 hour, 6.5 at 2 and 5.9@3. I then eat my meal and the other smoothie at around 5.4 @ 8pm and am at 5.8 @ bed time around 11.

Mornings are another story, I've seen my fbg raise from 5.8-6.0 to closer to 7, I'm assuming as a result of the big calorie intake.
The later in the day generally means less activity. On top of thatl eating after your evening meal is not fully processed. Maybe cut the evening in half. Stacking protein and fat and carbs will only raise you. We need to let our levels drop before we bombard them again. Stacking any macro will only raise bs

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The later in the day generally means less activity. On top of that I still eating after your evening meal is processed. Maybe cut the evening in half. Stacking protein and fat will only raise you. We need to let our levels drop before we bombard them again. Stacking any macro will only raise bs
I like avocados and generally eat then 3-4 times a week.

@Kristin251 :
I use this currency converter for $ to £, and sometimes other,currency comparisons. Unfortunately it seems to have been updated a bit since I last used it and was throwing a bit of "Server Error" wobbly tonight... But nothing compared with the permanent hissy fit my keyboard is currently inflicting on me!

Robbity
excellent. I just wanted an ' idea'. I thought you were much higher than its. Not so. Thanks Robbity. Again. Such an outstanding forum! D is D wherever we live an the U.K. Rocks in so many ways !!

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The later in the day generally means less activity. On top of thatl eating after your evening meal is not fully processed. Maybe cut the evening in half. Stacking protein and fat and carbs will only raise you. We need to let our levels drop before we bombard them again. Stacking any macro will only raise bs
Thanks, I'll give it some thought. Maybe eat earlier is the answer.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat it most every day like 0,5 -1 a day mostly in salats

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'll give it some thought. Maybe eat earlier is the answer.
I think you will find not eating large meals before bed will lower your fasting. There's a lot of fat in there that will delay for hours and hours. Then the protein and carbs. Maybe try that for bf. I bet it will hold your hunger a long time and give you some nice fuel for the day. You might have to not eat after your evening meal to see a better fasting. And by bf I mean any time of day you like to break your over night fast. Could be anytime you like.

Even if I have just a handful of nuts before bed my fast is higher. Fat doesn't rise me much but it definitely carries over into at least the next meal as insulin resistance and it doesn't allow me to drop back down. If I way over eat it it can take days for my insulin sensativity to come back to normal.

Freema, that sounds like a great way to disguise it for some people. I just like it as is. Hahha

B, I think I would love your smoothie. Too carbs for me but sounds delish. I've often thought of them but don't want the trouble with clean up. Do you think the fiber would be negated after blending?

I sampled some kale guacamole and it was very good. It was avocado, kale, ( I assume steamed first) jalapeño, tomato, lime juice and of course salt. Just another good way to get some veggies.

Maybe I'll try that today and add smoked salmon. Where's that drool button again?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251

Yes, that recipe would be too high carb for me too now. I used to go for 60% veg, and 40% fruit. Make up a couple of litres (more than half of the smoothie was water) in a powerful blender (that would be enough for two days). Then I would have a big glass twice a day, and have a proper evening meal. Felt great on it.

Nowadays I guess I should be looking at Gaspacho soup recipes
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...rome..69i57.5119j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cleanup was easy, because cleaning a Vitamix is always easy. They virtually clean themselves. Certainly very different from the ordeal of cleaning a juicer.

I found the smoothies didn't spike me, and released slowly, which was a surprise considering the blended nature of them. In contrast, juicing is (for me) like drinking pure glucose syrup. Weird, huh?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251

Yes, that recipe would be too high carb for me too now. I used to go for 60% veg, and 40% fruit. Make up a couple of litres (more than half of the smoothie was water) in a powerful blender (that would be enough for two days). Then I would have a big glass twice a day, and have a proper evening meal. Felt great on it.

Nowadays I guess I should be looking at Gaspacho soup recipes
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...rome..69i57.5119j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cleanup was easy, because cleaning a Vitamix is always easy. They virtually clean themselves. Certainly very different from the ordeal of cleaning a juicer.

I found the smoothies didn't spike me, and released slowly, which was a surprise considering the blended nature of them. In contrast, juicing is (for me) like drinking pure glucose syrup. Weird, huh?
Oh. That sounds yummy!!

I'm sure juicing didn't work as it removes the fiber where blending just smooths it.
My brother makes a concoction in his vita mix with kale or various dark leafy greens, random other veggies, lemon and hot sauce and drinks it all day long. He loves it and feels fabulous on it. It would be a disaster for me as just lettuce raises me!!!
I don't have a vitamin, just a cheesy blender and a stick blender. Haha.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not that keen on avocados but am trying to like them more.

Edit: oops sorry I forgot the tag @Kristin251

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not that keen on avocados but am trying to like them more.
I was not tagged!!!!

They're easy to like. You just have to find a way that suits you. They're pretty much flavorless with an awesome creamy texture. Open pallet. Try hot spices if you like that. Or I love it with basal. It does require salt for me. Maybe if you like veggies smoothies? Salsa? You might like them smashed with various spices rather than right out of the shell. Time to experiment zand!! So so good for you. Where there's a will there's a way! If you can tackle diabetes you can certainly tackle an avocado!! Lol

Reactions: zand

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update for you avocado lovers or non lovers for a reason to learn to love

I was doing a protein at bf experiment the last three days. I WAS eating 1/3 avocado and 1 ounce of protein for bf. I needed to take 3 injections before lunch. 1 unit, 1 unit an hour later and 1/2 unit around noon. ( I don't eat lunch until around 3). And sometimes I was still rising.

The last three days I simply removed protein and added a bit more avocado. Took 1/2 unit and an hour later I was dropping. Small snack. It took over 2 hours to see the slightest rise. Took 1/2 unit and got on with my day. Showering etc always raises me and the bump stops that. Guess what? I went down and stayed down. So my normal 2.5 units went to 1 and I stayed low all day. All this because of an ounce of protein with bf!!! Ridiculous but shows the power of avocado being great for blood sugar!!! I've always known I gluconeogenisis fast which is why I incorporate avocado at every meal but this shows me the power of protein requiring insulin!!
Now to refigure out my bolus timing so I don't drop.
I imagine this is why many fast or have bulletproof coffee!

Reactions: Ultramum

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I eat between 1/4 to 1/2 a large avocado per day, nothing to do with blood sugars but because I have high cholesterol and avocado, olive oil and macadamia nuts (being high in mono fats) are the best foods for increasing HDL (the good cholesterol). As long as I keep my HDL up around 1.8 my GP is happy and I don't keep getting the threat of statins shoved in my face.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat between 1/4 to 1/2 a large avocado per day, nothing to do with blood sugars but because I have high cholesterol and avocado, olive oil and macadamia nuts (being high in mono fats) are the best foods for increasing HDL (the good cholesterol). As long as I keep my HDL up around 1.8 my GP is happy and I don't keep getting the threat of statins shoved in my face.
My cholesterol was greatLy improved when I started eating one a day. HDL up , ldl down and total down as well.