B12 injections is there any other alternative

denbo

Hi I am a diabetic on insulin I was low the other year with my B12 so only ad one inject but dint think it suited me r there any other alternatives I am in vitamin supplements with B12 in

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You can get B12 tablets, and most people can absorb the B12 that way. Some people can't, and need injections instead. I've had the injections and I find they hurt like hell. Apart from that, I didn't notice any bad side effects.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you get bit B supplements try to get the timed release ones I take a high strength vitamin b which I get timed release ,but I bought a different one and it a caused extremely bad bowel problems Think projectile vomiting but from the other end (Sorry too much information)
CAROL

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @denbo, it depends how low your B12 levels are. If you are moderately low then tablet supplements may help but if your B12 is so low it has caused pernicious anaemia then you will need to have the injections. Can I ask why you thought they didn't suit you? Was it because they are painful or because you didn't think they worked? With the B12 injections you have to have three to five in a short period of time at the beginning to bring up your levels and then one injection every three months. You won't actually feel better til you have had two or three injections. Please go back to the doc/nurse and talk it through cos it won't get better on its own! Take care, Sue xxxxx

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was diagnosed as B12 deficient and labelled as having pernicious anaemia back in 2003.

These injections are meant to be for life and initially they can be weekly or monthly depending how deficient you are.

For some reason I am no longer B12 deficient and last year went up to extremely high levels of B12.

My injections were stopped by my welsh GP in 2009. For two years I then paid privately for intravenous drips of vitamins and minerals...then I decided "why am I doing this?" If my B12 levels drop I should get my injections back.

So I stopped paying privately, but took B12 tablets instead for 4 years. I didn't believe they would keep my levels up. Last year I decided to stop the supplements expecting them to drop but for some reason they went through the roof... Way, way to high, off the scale!!

Anyhow. What I would say is. Yes the injections are huge and painful but if you do have pernicios anaemia you do need the injections. There is a good pernicious anaemia website that can better advise than me...https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...qe0-RcyTuaSVSBraw&sig2=ggmauenY1OSIJRp7iuxvYQ

I am an oddity. I was diagnosed deficient and very low but something has caused my levels to reverse. I think the reversal for me has been eating totally natural food, nothing processed.

I do take a good multi vitamin a day.

Depending how low yoy are at diagnosis and what levels you remain at will determine whether you need injections on going.

I am positive my unprocessed food living has hugely improved all my blood levels of everything.

Vit B tablets vary enormously. If you are declared with official PA it is likely you will need injections for life. I don't know why my levels so dramatically changed higher last year. ( they have dropped though from 1598 to 434- no reason though).

Have you looked at the PA website?

desidiabulum

Hi denbo -- is your problem with the injection site? I have mine in the upper arm and feel only mild discomfort. Might be worth experimenting with other sites if your main concern is the injection itself.

denbo

Thanks for the info sue I must b enemic to av to av the injections I ad one 2yrs ago and that seem to bring my levels back up I can't remember wot my symptoms were tbh but it looks like I'm goin av to av a few to feel more like myself agen

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks for the info sue I must b enemic to av to av the injections I ad one 2yrs ago and that seem to bring my levels back up I can't remember wot my symptoms were tbh but it looks like I'm goin av to av a few to feel more like myself agen

You need to find out if you are actually diagnosed as having pernicious anaemia...

If so you should be having regular injections not just adhoc ones..

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi denbo -- is your problem with the injection site? I have mine in the upper arm and feel only mild discomfort. Might be worth experimenting with other sites if your main concern is the injection itself.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask about it. I have always had the injections in the backside. Does anyone know why they hurt so much? Is it the quantity of liquid, or is there something in it that stings?

@donnellysdogs - Maybe B12 is like Iron, in that if you take it with another substance, it enhances the absorption. With Iron, Vitamin C increases absorption. This is why people with too much Iron should avoid eating foods high in Vit C when they eat foods high in Iron. I wonder if there is a substance that does that with B12?

denbo

I av ad 3injections so far and am feeling loads better got another 3 to av nxt week then one every 3 mths to keep my levels up thank you for all the info

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask about it. I have always had the injections in the backside. Does anyone know why they hurt so much? Is it the quantity of liquid, or is there something in it that stings?

@donnellysdogs - Maybe B12 is like Iron, in that if you take it with another substance, it enhances the absorption. With Iron, Vitamin C increases absorption. This is why people with too much Iron should avoid eating foods high in Vit C when they eat foods high in Iron. I wonder if there is a substance that does that with B12?

I also have mine in my arm which the nurse does once every 3 months. They are uncomfortable but not really painful so definitely worth asking if they can try to do it in your arm.

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I av ad 3injections so far and am feeling loads better got another 3 to av nxt week then one every 3 mths to keep my levels up thank you for all the info

I'm so pleased you are feeling better! But if you stop the injections without the docs say so you will probably start feeling ill again. Im on the 3 monthly ones and I know when I'm due for a shot cos I begin to feel abit poorly about a week before. Take care, Sue xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

denbo

Thanks sue ill b due for my 3mth one in nov so if and when I start feelin no energy I will b gettin it dun a week earlier if that's the case

denbo

The doctor as put me on irion tabs after 2 days ov takin em they did not suit me so the nurse sed leave em off as I felt like I did before I ad my b12 injec she sed the results ov my irion wernt too bad anyway so I'm takin me muti vitamins now but feelin loads better now got to av my nxt b12 in 3 mths

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The doctor as put me on irion tabs after 2 days ov takin em they did not suit me so the nurse sed leave em off as I felt like I did before I ad my b12 injec she sed the results ov my irion wernt too bad anyway so I'm takin me muti vitamins now but feelin loads better now got to av my nxt b12 in 3 mths
Do you know what your iron and ferritin levels were? You can ask for a printout, which is handy to refer to next time you get tests done. Nurses can sometimes be wrong about test levels, and if yours is too low it won't help your health and you will feel more tired than you need to. There are different kinds of iron supplements, and side effects usually come right within a short time anyway.

denbo

She sed there wasn't cause for concern so feel better not takin em tbh I'll av go and c the doc and try another I suppose

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kefir (it's like drinkable yogurt but a bit sharper) is usually high in B12. Sainsbury's has Milko kefir 400ml 90p and 1litre £1.35 in the chilled section with stuff like mango lassi, paneer cheese, Jamaican pasties in some stores.

Marigolds Engevita enriched yeast flakes are made in Estonia under controlled conditions so no candida albicans and the yeast is inactivated. Lots of vegans buy them to supplement B12 levels.

Last edited by a moderator: