Back pain/Metformin

CEDI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your post. Saw that there might be a connection to metformin and my back pain. Know I am getting old but this apin cannot be normal but induced by these meds I am taking.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel twenty years younger since stopping the tablets - Metformin and a statin. I think that I had every possible side effect but I can't be sure - one of them is memory loss.

Reactions: snowmonkey

CEDI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am getting into the habit of testing my level more often to see what foods creates havoc on my system and then take it form there. Thanks for your comment.

Reactions: Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Metformin evokes my period. Which includes back aches from womb cramps. Im still having periods but unsure effects on post menopausal women or men.
Nothing to worry about in pre menopausal women, for sure.

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
I feel twenty years younger since stopping the tablets - Metformin and a statin. I think that I had every possible side effect but I can't be sure - one of them is memory loss.
Statin doses have a known side effect for memory loss. If your GP reduces your statin dose you should notice a difference. I was lucky my GP reduced it because of my stroke. Can also try different statin products. They are very reluctant to take you off it if complications occur

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I found I'd done all the Christmas shopping for groceries twice, and lost the car in the supermarket car park as well, I went home and tossed the tablets. I was in a terrible state both physically and mentally by then - but the clinic did not realise my decision for some time. The repeat prescription system must have revealed it to them and only time I have seen a doctor since diagnosis was a new one, trying to persuade me to resume taking statins. My diabetes seems to be secondary to that.
This morning I decided to risk walking around to the clinic to collect my thyroxine tablets and did not use my sticks - and for the first time I felt more than 90 percent positive that I'd make it back home without having to stop and rest. It is over eight months since I stopped taking the Metformin and statin. I have not ridden my bicycle in that time, nor ventured far from home by myself, but I am feeling more optimistic.