Background Retinopathy

• Thread starter Deleted member 391597
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 391597

Hi all,

So for those who don't know me, I was diangosed as being Type 1 4 months ago. I developed gestational diabetes while pregnant with my first baby last year and the diabetes went away for 6 months, only to come back with a vengence resulting in a stay in A+E while in DKA. Anyway, while pregnant I always had tight control (1 hour post meal was always under 7.8 and fasting would always be in the 4's). Since being diagnosed as Type 1, I again took contol and my first Hba1c came back at 41 (5.9%) I've also always had normal blood pressure.

Went to my first eye screening recently and the letter has come back today saying my left eye is fine but I have background retinopathy in my right eye! I can't believe it - why so soon and when I've been controlling it so well?! Can this be treated or go away on its own or does this mean I'm on the path for further problems? It's only been 4 months! I'm totally gutted.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Understandably your gutted at the news but I wouldn't fear the worst and just carry on doing what your doing, some members here have been told that they have background retinopathy only to be told at the next eye screening that it has gone away (undetectable in other words).

Hopefully this will be the case with you, just keep your bg, bp and cholesterol levels in check and fingers crossed at your next screening the news will be more positive. Good luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic @Hollieo4 I had that once on one of my checks, and I worried a lot. I was dreading the next check but my eyes were totally fine - no background retinopathy at all.

So yes, it can go away :)

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Hollieo4 I can understand your shock and worry!! Although I've had diabetes a lot longer (16 years :nailbiting:) I've always considered myself to be well controlled especially since going on the pump 3 years ago! Anyway, a few years ago I had my routine eye screening, just before falling pregnant and everything was fine, I had all my checks during pregnancy and was told there was no signs of retinopathy then I went to the next screening after having baby and was told I'd early changes to my left eye. I was absolutely devastated and couldn't understand how everything appeared clear and a matter of weeks later there was something there!! I've since spent my time worrying myself silly, it's been horrible. I recently went to my optician for my annual check up and photos were taken and, when compared to last years, there was no sign of anything. I was pleased but realistic also that the optician wouldn't go into the same detail as the screening service in terms of checking the photos but it seems to suggest that things can at least improve so just keep up all your hard work with the BS control and try not to worry too much at this stage which I know is hard because it's ironic me telling someone to do that when I can't myself x

D

Deleted member 391597

Thanks so much everyone! Just such a kick in the teeth when I'm trying so hard to control it and it hasn't been that long at all!

Dark Horse

Eye screening is designed to detect sight-threatening retinopathy. It is not designed to be accurate at distinguishing between no apparent retinopathy and background retinopathy. There are a number of reasons why someone might get a background retinopathy grade even if they actually have no retinopathy. Someone might have a pigment spot that looks like a microaneurysm or may have a haemorrhage due to some non-diabetic reason such as high blood pressure. If you get a background retinopathy result 3 years running then it quite likely that you have background retinopathy but I wouldn't worry about a single result.