Backpacking Pacific Crest Trail

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm from the UK and I'm planning on backpacking a 2650 mile wilderness trail in the US which will take around 5 to 6 months to complete. This involves extremes of temperature, wild camping and re-supplying with food every 5 days or so at small communities along the way. We'll forget about the bears, snakes and mountain lions for now! I am struggling to find any info on how someone with T1 diabetes can manage this. I have a cousin who lives in the US who could potentially store the excess insulin and post it ahead for me but any mail problems and I'm going to be in trouble. I don't want to carry 6 months of supply with me in Frio bags as this is asking for problems if my bag is stolen / eaten by a bear etc and it will also be heavy. Is there anyone out there who has any experience of long distance trails in the US as any advice would be welcome.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live near the Pacific Crest Trail. Have you watched the movie Wild starring Reese Witherspoon? It's based on a true story. My husband and sons have walked a 50 mile section of it a few times. Best of luck to you on your planned adventure.

Reactions: Prem51

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live near the Pacific Crest Trail. Have you watched the movie Wild starring Reese Witherspoon? It's based on a true story. My husband and sons have walked a 50 mile section of it a few times. Best of luck to you on your planned adventure.
Hi Winnie, You're so lucky to have that beautiful wilderness on your doorstep. I watched Wild last week and it's a great film although it's a case of 'what not to do' in terms of backpacking! If your husband or sons have any tips that would be great. Best wishes H

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, she wasn't properly prepared, but she finished which is very impressive. My husband flew to New York City today. Will try to remember to ask him when he gets back.

Oh, just remembered another movie, I'm sure there are more... A Walk in the Woods (2015) starring Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, and Emma Thompson. In this story, the two old friends hike the Appalachian Trail. :)

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, she wasn't properly prepared, but she finished which is very impressive. My husband flew to New York City today. Will try to remember to ask him when he gets back.

Oh, just remembered another movie, I'm sure there are more... A Walk in the Woods (2015) starring Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, and Emma Thompson. In this story, the two old friends hike the Appalachian Trail. :)

I think in Wild she finished East of Portland (Bridge of Gods) rather than the Canadian border but very impressive none the less. I'll have a look at the other film too. Thanks Winnie.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Hellikopta and welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but just wanted to say I envy you on making this trek. I wish I could do it, but the longest hike I ever did was the West Highland Way, about 90 miles which I did in five days. But I was younger then.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for clarifying that Hellikopta. It's been more than a year since I watched the movie. I had this nagging feeling that she hadn't completed the last part of the trail - (which I now realize was Washington state) - but as you said, still impressive in that she walked north through California and Oregon.

The natural beauty of Washington State is incredible. I feel so fortunate to live in a city that has greenways and trails throughout the city. Also to have walkways along the waterfront where people fly kites. I walk these trails a lot during the warmer months. We also have extensive trail systems outside the city too. :)

@Prem51 90 miles in five days. Wow!

After watching the movie Wild, it really motivated me to change the location of my walks, also to extend them. For a while, I'd have my husband drop me off in different locations around the city to make my walks more varied and interesting. I found her struggle with the loss of her mother moving and her hike on the Pacific Crest Trail inspiring.

Another source of inspiration is a member of our diabetes group. He walks 3 to 9 miles a day, mostly on hills.

For those looking for inspiration to walk more, I think the movie Wild is worth a watch. :)

Oh, and just for a treat, someone sent us this over the weekend. Imagine walking along the waterfront on a beautiful summer day and happening upon this performance - (best watched in full screen)...

The man flying the 3 kites is in his 80s, and he's from Canada. He comes to the Washington State International Kite Festival every year. His skin is like leather as he normally flies with his shirt off. He is deaf, so when he flies we hold our hands up and wave them for applause. He flies 2 with his hands and the 3rd one is attached to his waist. Enjoy!

You must watch to the end to see the amazing landing of that last kite! I would have those kites so tangled up, you could never get them separated again! And of course, make sure the volume is turned up because the music is wonderful and totally reflects the soaring of the kites. Beautiful...

In the next video is an interview with Ray Bethell. A self described craftsman, he woke up one morning with a significant hearing loss. Now deaf, angry and depressed, what followed was a change in mindset after an encounter with a group of rambunctious children in a waiting room...

To learn more about Ray's accomplishments throughout the world, go here... http://www.raybethell.com/html/a_01.htm

Last edited:

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Hellikopta and welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but just wanted to say I envy you on making this trek. I wish I could do it, but the longest hike I ever did was the West Highland Way, about 90 miles which I did in five days. But I was younger then.
It's surprising the age range of people who do decide to take this trek. A 10 year old girl has walked it with her parents and last year a 70 year old completed the thru hike. It's never too late :D

Reactions: Prem51 and Winnie53

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Prem51 90 miles in five days.Wow!/QUOTE]

I was quite a fast walker then. I wasn't carrying camping gear as I stayed at b&bs and pubs on the route. I had to walk 26 miles in one day, across Rannoch Moor, as there was only one pub on the moor and it was fully booked. But I was stiff the next day!
Most people take two weeks to do the West Highland Way.

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's very impressive Prem. I've got my work cut out to get up to scratch before I go.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Prem51 during my early adolescent years, our community held an annual 26 mile walk as a fundraiser. Not sure how many times we did it, perhaps twice as a group. I weighed less than 100 pounds and wore proper footwear but it was a hard push toward the end. One of my friends chose to not wear socks, but we somehow we made it. At then end of the walk was a promised McDonald's meal, but they were gone by the time we finished. I must have crumpled into a heap of tears because my mother took me to McDonald's and insisted that they provide me that free meal. :)

I weigh 140 pounds today so not sure I'd attempt such a long walk again at this point, but losing weight again so will see what this summer brings.

I'm curious as to what it is about walking that you each enjoy, also what environments you choose to walk/hike.

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm always happiest when I'm in the middle of nowhere, kayaking, camping, walking etc and if it also involves getting to see wildlife them that's the icing on the cake. I've recently come back from a holiday in Norway which involved walking / mountain biking and general sightseeing and it was absolutely beautiful. Many people these days are either in such a rush to get somewhere or they are glued to their mobiles so they don't appreciate what's around them. Taking time to travel on foot at a slower pace really helps to immerse you in the environment. A trek like this will also allow me to get in touch with my inner 'Bear Grylls' !!

Reactions: Prem51 and Winnie53

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Prem51 during my early adolescent years, our community held an annual 26 mile walk as a fundraiser. Not sure how many times we did it, perhaps twice as a group. I weighed less than 100 pounds and wore proper footwear but it was a hard push toward the end. One of my friends chose to not wear socks, but we somehow we made it. At then end of the walk was a promised McDonald's meal, but they were gone by the time we finished. I must have crumpled into a heap of tears because my mother took me to McDonald's and insisted that they provide me that free meal. :)

I weigh 140 pounds today so not sure I'd attempt such a long walk again at this point, but losing weight again so will see what this summer brings.

I'm curious as to what it is about walking that you each enjoy, also what environments you choose to walk/hike.
I always liked walking. As a child I used to walk miles around our area, not something kids would do today with the increased traffic and dangers.
At school I switched from Geography to Geology, largely because I found physical landscapes more interesting than political and economic dimensions to a country, and also because it meant I got to go on field trips.
Although I have always lived in a city I liked getting out to walk in the countryside. I like the greenery and the feeling of being close to nature. I don't think I would like to live in the countryside though.
I have walked in Wales, Scotland, the Home Counties and the Lake District. And I've been on organised group walking holidays in Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Iceland and the US Rockies, around Denver, Colorado. I think Iceland was the best with varied spectacular scenery which was completely wild and free from human population.
I like walking more in upland mountainous areas, though I like coastal walking too.

I used to walk quite fast, and it felt like I was almost flying along, with my feet hardly touching the ground. It gave me a sense of exhilaration. I didn't know at the time that brisk exercise releases 'feel good' endorphins in our brain, a natural stimulant.
After my thyroid glands failing (hypothyroidism) I don't have the same energy. I could still walk 26 miles in a day and do about once a year, but 10-15 miles is usually enough for me now.
I don't go on walking holidays now, and I'm quite content to spend my holidays on a beach, something I never did when I was younger.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really neat @Prem51

You both have gotten me thinking. I'm going to talk with my diabetes group about planning some extended walks in interesting locations this summer. I think we'd all enjoy it!